Chapter 28

Ani's recovery was slow and painful. Aeriin thought it was like watching paint dry. The vampire couldn't even look at her without crying softly and covering her chest like her heart was threatening to jump out. Darcel healed the wound Alex made, but the break Aeriin created would not be so easily mended.

Aeriin wished she could take it all back. She wished she could turn back time and hug Ani instead, or chase her when she ran. But she had no such powers, and instead held onto Ani's hand and waited for her to say something.

But the vampire made no attempts, and Aeriin knew why. She was afraid to be broken again. Afraid Aeriin would leave her a second time, and this time the vampire's heart wouldn't take it.

Aeriin and Darcel moved the vampire down into her bedroom but Aeriin refused to leave the room except to eat and use the bathroom. She wanted to stay there to remind her that she cared.

Darcel came into the room and handed her a letter, to which after she read she just sighed. "Tell them I don't care. I'm not leaving this house until Ani talks to me."

"But you'll be expelled!" Darcel said.

"I don't care." Aeriin snapped back before standing up. "I'll be back in a bit. Watch her for me." With that she left, leaving Darcel there glaring at the vampire.

"Can you not see what you're doing? You're destroying her! Ruining her life! Would she sit at home babysitting you rather than going to school if she didn't love you?! You want to make the pain go away? Then take her back in, otherwise you'll kill her."

"Kill her? She slaughtered me! Tore out my heart and shattered it!"

"This isn't about you! Its about both of you! You're not allowed to be the only one who makes decisions!"

"You don't get to make any decisions!" Ani yelled as she sat up. "Get out!"

Darcel turned and headed to the door then stopped, her jaw clenched tight. "No."

"Excuse me?"

Darcel turned back to the vampire and growled. "You told me to protect Aeriin, and I can't protect her and leave you alone!"

"Get out!"

"No!" Darcel yelled as she pulled at her collar. "I'm done with your shit! I'm done watching both of you suffer like this and I'm done with your god damn collar!" She roared, the collar cracking with white light.

"Darcel enough!" Ani shouted.

"No!" Darcel roared and the collar shattered in her hands getting Ani to shrink back. Her body was too weak to fight the angel who was no longer under her control. Darcel walked over and grabbed the front of Ani's shirt. "I won't let you keep doing this to yourself and her! You have no reason to make her suffer when you could talk this out and go back to being yourselves!"

"Get your hands off me!" The vampire snarled as she tried to pry Darcel's hands off her but to no avail.

"No! You don't get to order me around anymore. It's your turn to listen, and with that special brain of yours you're going to remember whether you want to or not."

"How do you know about that?"

"I'm a healer. Its my job to know all your insides because I've healed you several times. Were you born like that?"

"Yes, but it doesn't matter! I'm fine okay!"

"Even if it's not your brain, you're still not fine! You're treating Aeriin like a stranger and all she wants to do is help you, and help mend the wound she created! She's not making you suffer anymore, you are! I blame her for how this started, but if anythings going to get fixed, you both have to work together! Understand!?"