sixty

"Can you be my boyfriend?"

The silence of Riki made Sunoo want to take back the question. He felt ashamed of asking it, in the middle of an empty pathway of all places.

Sunoo gently pushed Riki off of him, only to realize that the younger boy was actually smiling proudly all to himself again.

"I will say yes only if you repeat the text you sent last night," Riki said.

Sunoo rolled his eyes. He didn't know if this boy was actually serious about his feelings towards him. Riki seemed like everything about this is a joke to him.

"It already came from you, this might be the last time you can say it," Riki appealed again. "If so, let me hear it before the last time comes."

"Riki," Sunoo whined, sounding more upset.

Riki smiled, reaching for Sunoo's cheeks and wiping off the traces of his tears.

"This will not be the last time, believe me," Riki said. "I would've told you to stop rushing things because of your fears, but I love where this is going, so..."

Riki stepped forward, closing the remaining spaces between them as he gave Sunoo a gentle kiss on the forehead.

"Say it again," Riki said. "The text you sent last night."

Sunoo didn't respond.

"Please."

"Fine," Sunoo said. "I love you. Okay? Don't beg for it."

Riki then breaks out into a wide smile again, briefly hugging Sunoo.

"I love you too," Riki whispered in his ears before letting go. "Now, where should we spend our first date tomorrow?"

Riki took Sunoo's hand again and started walking like nothing had happened.

"Let's not do ice cream dates or stay in the grandstand. If you fear this will be our last date, let it be more romantic than a high-school fiction. I hate it," Riki continued speaking.

Sunoo didn't bother to suggest anything and let Riki decide about it. Everything that matters to Sunoo right now is being together with the boy who changed his life, both in negative and positive— but more in the positive aspect. Riki was the person that made him realize it's happier being this way, being true to himself and his feelings.

But the voice behind his mind still kept on bothering him. What if this will be the last time he could spend with Riki?

+++

"We shouldn't text each ot—"

"Why? What's the purpose of technology if we can't use it?" Riki asked, sounding like a kid close to throwing a tantrum.

"Riki, we're meeting with our parents," Sunoo said, trying to explain. "No texts, no calls. We should spend the vacation wholly with our family."

Riki looks away, his lips pursing cutely.

"Besides, it will just be two months. We'll see each other again when the class resumes," Sunoo said.

They were sitting side by side at a bus stop. A week full of random dates has passed and it's time for Sunoo to go home.

"No relationship lasted for two months without communication," Riki said. "It's worse than straight up telling me you're breaking up with me."

Sunoo didn't say anything, Riki already got the point. He didn't want to end everything here, so he thought that if they survive two months without communication, they can continue later.