forty-seven

Sunoo placed the little present he got for Riki on the table, watching closely at how Riki would react. He didn’t even know what genre of music Riki liked, or if he even liked going to music festivals. Yep, it’s that ticket to the music festival for tomorrow.

It took Sunoo more than a week to finally give the ticket to Riki, anticipating his agreement.

“So…” Sunoo bites on his lips. “Will you come? With, uh, me?”

Sunoo cannot read the expressions on the younger’s face as Riki stared at the ticket on the table. He then looked up to meet Sunoo’s eyes before looking back down at the ticket.

Riki released a nervous laugh, murmuring something that Sunoo didn’t understand.

“What?” Sunoo asked.

Riki shook his head as he looked back up to meet Sunoo’s eyes.

“I said I literally turned down Jake’s invitation last time and now I’m receiving the same ticket,” Riki said, smiling flatly at him.

Oh, okay.

Sunoo slowly retreated the ticket away from Riki, feeling disappointed.

+++

Riki placed his hand over Sunoo, stopping him from getting the ticket back.

“I’ll go,” Riki said.

“You don’t have to force yourself to come.”

Sunoo nudges Riki’s hands off his, but Riki firmly holds on his hands.

“I’m not forcing myself,” Riki said.

“You literally said you turned down someone else’s invitation-”

“There’s a reason for that,” Riki says.

“What reason?”

Riki hums, thinking. He just couldn’t tell anyone about Heeseung’s plan, not even if it’s Sunoo.

“Because I know you’re going to ask me?” Riki sheepishly smiled. “I want to go with you, not with anybody else.”

He noticed how the end of Sunoo’s lips curved into a smile, but he seemed to control it.

“Don’t say nonsense, it’s fine if you don’t want to go,” Sunoo said.

“The ticket will go to waste,” Riki argued.

“It’s fine.”

Riki heaved a sigh.

Sorry, Heeseung. “I only declined Jake’s invitation because I don’t want to be a third wheel on him and Heeseung. It’s cringe watching proposals while in a music festival, you know.”

Sunoo’s eyebrows shot up, “What?”

“It’s cringe to-”

Riki wasn’t able to finish whatever it is he’s about to say when Sunoo forcefully took his hands off Riki’s firm grip, ripping the ticket in the process, before he stormed off the cafeteria.

The freshman was left alone, stunned. He sighed, staring back down at the useless half of the ticket left in front of him. What did he do wrong?

+++

Riki stared at the ticket being presented at him by his own brother. He looks back and forth between the piece of paper and his brother, wondering.

“It’s the third ticket I have received this week,” Riki said. “What’s so special about this music festival that everyone wants me to attend?”

“Aw! That hurts!” Riki complained when Jay suddenly just smacked his head, although it isn’t that hard.

“You owe me this ticket,” Jay said, bitterness lingering in his voice.

“What if I don’t accept it?”

Jay rolled his eyes, “Your loss, not mine.”

Riki sighed, accepting the piece of paper.

“Tomorrow at four in the afternoon, they’ll be waiting at the university gate,” Jay says. “Don’t mess this up, I gave up my ticket for your stupid ass.”

“They?” Riki curiously asked.

“Jungwon and Sunoo,” Jay says.

Riki stared at his obviously pissed off brother, slowly understanding why.

“You can just have this instead,” Riki then said, handing the ticket back to Jay.

The older one only glared at him.

“It’s fine, Sunoo won’t like to see me there anyways- he’s kinda annoyed with me,” Riki spoke again.

Jay inhaled deeply, as if to stop himself from seriously getting mad.

“Just take it and get out of my sight before I change my mind-”

“No, it’s yours,” Riki insisted.

“Take it. Sunoo-

Riki closed his mouth shut as he secured the piece of paper in his hands, listening to whatever is coming out of Jay’s mouth-who seemed to forget that everything about it is a secret he should keep. Now, Riki knew everything.

+++

Riki will go.

Jungwon stared at the simple message he received from Jay. As much as he wanted to be happy about it, he felt a little bitter about the fact that he will end up third-wheeling. How can he enjoy tomorrow night, then?

He was really looking forward to that night to come. He chose the best clothes he had brought with him, ironed and bathed it with cologne. All that only for him to end up just third-wheeling.

He bought four tickets for a reason. Originally, it was supposed to be just him and Sunoo but then Jungwon changed his mind after finally receiving a reply from someone he was trying to communicate with for the past years.

Jungwon stared at the ticket on the table, re-reading the list of artists performing at the festival. Both him and Sunoo have liked Day6 ever since, but it’s not the main reason why Jungwon bought the ticket.

A rookie rock band will be performing at the opening of the festival- the TXT. The band in which Beomgyu is a member. Yes, the same Beomgyu in their high school. The same specific someone Jungwon was trying to reach out to for the past years.

Jungwon wanted to fix the friendship he ruined from years ago. By then, maybe, he’ll be able to lift the guilt off his shoulder too.

tengyu_