twenty-seven

Jungwon felt someone held the sleeves of his coat, tugging it down.

He looked down to see Jay standing before him.

“Get down,” Jay said, voice loud to match the cheering crowd.

Jungwon looked back at where he have seen Sunoo and Riki, the two disappeared in the dark hallways of a building. He sighed, finally stepping down on the chair.

“Did they already see each other?” Jay curiously asked, speaking behind his ear.

“Yeah, I don't know where they went, though. They disappeared in the dark,” Jungwon said.

“Do you want to follow them?”

+++

Jay watched at how Jungwon changes his expressions. He seemed worried about Riki and Sunoo spending time with each other.

He reached for Jungwon's hand, intertwining their fingers together as he gave it one comforting squeeze.

It was actually their plan to let Sunoo and Riki meet.

Jay and Jungwon exchanged numbers before the winter vacation. They remained in contact because of Engene, the kitten. They've gotten close enough that Jungwon started opening up to him about Sunoo and their past.

It shocked Jay. He didn't know Sunoo have gone through a traumatizing event like that. Even Jungwon bears the guilt up until now.

The sudden story made Jay read books of Psychology, trying to find a justification about Jungwon's past behavior. He tried comforting the younger, giving him advice and trying to lift up the guilt he was feeling.

They made a mission to make Sunoo and Riki get close together. A mission for Sunoo to finally tried opening up to others again. Jay hopes that if the mission goes successful, maybe Jungwon can forgive himself as well.

Although Jay knew that Jungwon still feels a little territorial about his friend.

+++

Sunoo and Riki stood on the dark hallways eating nuts that the younger has bought from the stalls nearby. They kept a large space between each other in case someone walks by.

They can still hear the loud speakers and cheerings of student from the field, Riki knew that it's Heeseung's band performing. He felt a little bad for not being there to watch it.

“Why do I feel like you're trying to ignore me again,” Riki speaks, voice sounding like a child sulking.

“I'm not.”

“Then why did you act like you didn't sew me in the cafeteria this morning?” Riki asked.

“You're there?” Sunoo asked, confuse. “I didn't see you.”

“We literally stood after each other on the cue line.”

Sunoo looks away.

“I was with Jungwon.”

“And? How is he a reason for ignoring me?” Riki raised an eyebrow.

Sunoo sighed. “He literally told you to leave me alone yesterday morning.”

Riki confusely stared at the boy standing before him.

“Yesterday morning?” He asked. “I can't recall him saying that to me. It was actually the opposite of that.”

Now it was Sunoo's turn to look at Riki just as confuse as the younger was.

“What do you mean?” Sunoo asked.

“I was looking for you yesterday because I want to ask you to join me watching the fireworks tonight. I didn't saw you around so I have thought that maybe you don't plan on attending tonight. I was about to give up and decide to stay inside the apartment for the remaining days of vacation but then I met Jungwon at the gate...” Riki narrated.

“He told me you will both watch the competetion so I also came today, hoping to see you,” Riki said.

“What?” Sunoo asked in disbelief.

+++

Who is telling the truth?

“Do I really have to repeat the story?” Riki complains.

“I need to find Jungwon,” Sunoo said, turning around to leave.

Riki was quick to hold the sleeves of his coat.

“Don't bother, he's probably with Jay right now,” Riki said.

“How are you sure? And why Jungwon would want hanging out with that senior?” Sunoo asked, looking back at the freshman.

Riki withdraw Sunoo's sleeves as he slightly scratch his cheeks. He then dragged Sunoo on the end of the hallways where they can see students on the field.

“There, on the end of the seats,” Riki said. “Isn't that your friend and the senior?”

Sunoo can't really see. It was too far and he can't recognize people on a distance. He doesn't even remember the color of Jungwon's coat.

“He said he'd go home but look at him still standing there with your friend, what a liar,” Riki murmured.

“All I see is a bunch of heads,” Sunoo speaks.

“Whatever,” Riki dismissed him. “You should stop worrying about Jungwon. He's fine and we're fine. Let's be together until after the fireworks.”

Sunoo bites on his lips.

Jungwon promised to him before that he would not do the same mistake again. He swore, and maybe he means it.

“Okay,” Sunoo reluctantly says, hoping that nothing would go wrong.

But, what if—

tengyu_