fifty-five

Sunghoon bitterly arranges the papers back on the file. Although his proposal was approved, he knew he wouldn't be able to appeal for his graduation papers. There's only two academic weeks left, it won't be enough to finish a whole thesis paper.

He left the faculty with regret. He should have focused more on his education than being an athlete. He didn't know this moment would come where he would regret that decision. Being an athlete was fun, though.

"Sunghoon!"

He looked up and saw Jake's smiling face. Jake was leaning on the wall a few meters from where Sunghoon is, as if waiting for someone.

"How's it going?" Jake asked, coming over to his side. "Why do you have such a gloomy face? Did your paper get rejected again?"

Sunghoon shakes his head. "It's approved, but two weeks will not be enough to finish a whole thesis report."

"So? Extending one semester isn't that bad. Riki will still be with you," Jake said.

Sunghoon only sighed, feeling worn-out.

"What are you even doing here?" Sunghoon asked. "Shouldn't you be with your boyfriend?"

As much as it hurts Sunghoon to say those words, he was glad Jake had listened to him. As long as both Jake and Heeseung are happy, he'll be happy too. For them, for Heeseung.

"He was with his band, I guess," Jake shrugged. "They're having a meeting on how to recruit another vocalist before Heeseung graduates."

Sunghoon only nodded.

"I don't know how to tell my parents I'm extended," Sunghoon suddenly confessed. "We're supposed to celebrate the graduation together, but now I'm left behind."

Jake reached for Sunghoon's hand, intertwining their fingers together.

"Your parents are more open and understanding towards things like this, compared to my parents and Jay's," Jake said, giving Sunghoon's hand a little squeeze. "I'll come with you when you tell them."

"Thanks...I guess."

+++

Riki didn't mean to ruin a relationship, but since he's more faithful to Heeseung, he snapped a picture of Jake and Sunghoon walking hand in hand. He immediately sends it to the older boy with a teasing caption "I thought you're the boyfriend here?"

After five minutes of typing, Heeseung finally replied, "At least we're not just friends anymore, unlike someone I know."

Riki squinted his eyes at the sudden reply. Heeseung had the guts to tease him back, hm?

He turned off his phone feeling slightly annoyed. Riki then turned on the corner to Sunoo's laboratory room. Riki's class had an early dismissal and instead of waiting in the cafeteria, he decided to roam around the university for a while and meet Sunoo after class.

To his surprise, Sunoo was already outside the laboratory room talking to...Jay?

Riki immediately went up to them, getting a sudden bad feeling about it.

"What's up?" Riki greeted the two, giving Jay a questioning look.

Jay only glanced at him briefly before smiling back at Sunoo, "Please tell Jungwon."

Riki watched closely as Sunoo looked at Jay, baffled. It's too obvious that he didn't get the cue that it was only Jay's way of changing the topic so Riki won't get any more curious. Riki only kept his expression normal, as if he was oblivious.

"Oh," Sunoo then smiled, one that obviously looked forced. "Don't worry, I'll tell Jungwon."

Riki didn't wonder when Jay turned around the other way and left as simply as that. He didn't even say greetings to his own brother. Riki knew that Jay still felt salty about the family dinner he refused to attend, and also because Riki refused to attend the upcoming celebration of Jay's graduation too.

He already missed a lot of important celebrations in Jay's life because he didn't want to meet Jay's parents. Riki knew Jay held grudges every time he declined and it now shows. But what could he do? He didn't want to meet Jay's parents.

"Ah," Riki complains when Sunoo suddenly smacks the back of his shoulder. "Why?"

"You didn't tell me you were telling the truth," Sunoo said. "I really believe you now."

"Eh?" Riki confusedly stared at him.

Sunoo looked around them first, as if making sure no one would hear what he was about to say. He then leaned closer to Riki.

"That you and Jay are half-brothers," Sunoo whispered. "Let's get to the cafeteria quickly, I'm starving."

Riki didn't let the chance to take Sunoo's hand in him, intertwining it together before they began walking on the hallway.

"Did he come all the way here to confirm it for you?" Riki asked, hoping Sunoo will slip the truth to him.

"He asked a favor..."

Riki heard the hesitation in Sunoo's voice. "What kind of favor?"

Sunoo glanced at him before quickly looking away.

"It's not important," Sunoo said, dismissing the topic. "I don't know if I'm able to do it anyways."

"Why? Is it that hard to do?" Riki continued asking, raising an eyebrow.

"Not really," Sunoo shrugged. "But the decision is not up to me, so whether I do it or not the outcome is still in the hands of...uhm, Jungwon."

Riki only nodded, acting as if he believed Sunoo's obvious lies. Or maybe it's only a half-lie, who knows...

"Okay, but how did you confirm we're half-brothers?"

"I asked out of curiosity, duh," Sunoo said, rolling his eyes. "But if Jay's Dad is your Dad too, who's your Mom?"

Riki smiled flatly.

"Let's not talk about the people that don't exist in our life, can we?" Riki asked, trying to sound like a normal person.

"I'm sorry," Sunoo says, giving Riki's hand a little squeeze.

Riki heaved a sigh, feeling bad about the words that had just left his lips. It sounded harsh, and he wondered how his Mom would feel if she heard that.

"Let's get ice cream after lunch," Sunoo said and Riki quickly shook his head.

He still isn't over the disgust he felt after realizing he ate almost half a tub of mint flavored ice cream that night.

tengyu_