sixteen

Riki tiredly stood up from his bed after a fourteen long hour of sleep. Tiring himself with dancing yesterday really helped in getting some comfortable sleep with no loud thoughts and blurry dreams of his Mom.

Yet, he still feels tired. Sleeping isn't enough.

He walked out of his room and flopped himself on the sofa, facing the four closed door in front of him.

He sighed, staring at Heeseung's guitar hanging on his closed door. Riki missed him. Starting that day when Jake rejected Heeseung's confession, the older rarely stay with them.

Riki could not even blame Jake, he understand his reasons too. But what Riki couldn't understand is the fact that Sunghoon started getting close to Jake right after Heeseung's rejection. Although they were friends long before, Riki have known there is something between the two that made Heeseung distance himself away from them more.

But Riki cannot blame anyone. They were his only family and the person who can tolerate his behaviour.

His stomach growls, he have not eaten dinner the last night. He stood up again, checks himself in the mirror and shrugged. He does need a bath but he'll be covered in thick winter clothes anyway, so why bother? He just brush his teeth and fix his hair with his fingers, get his wallet and phone and then he's ready to go.

The snow storm last night must have been that bad for the whole place to be covered in snow. It is not a good time to eat outside but Riki don't want to eat noodles and canned foods again, he's tired of it.

+++

Aside from Riki, there was also another person walking out on a semi-heavy snow fall.

Sunoo just cannot stay inside the dorms any longer. He wanted to wander around and block the random thoughts in his mind. Even though he knew it is not a good time to go outside, he still did.

“Sunoo!”

Sunoo didn't have to look back, he already knew who owns the youthful voice who dares to shout his name in public. There's only one person, Riki.

Sunoo eventually looked back when he heard some rustling from behind him, shielding his face in case there was another snowball attack.

“These snows are thick, why are we even outside?” Riki asked, trying to run in an ankle deep snow.

Sunoo stared at Riki.

“I'm really convinced you're a mushroom, you shows up anywhere,” Sunoo said.

“That's my talent,” Riki said, finally reaching Sunoo's side. Just as he stopped walking, his stomach grumbles again.

Riki sheepishly smiles, “Let's eat breakfast?”

“It's almost lunch,” Sunoo said as he turned around and started walking.

“Yeah,” Riki said, “So, we eat?”

“I've already eaten,” Sunoo said.

“You can eat again,” Riki insisted.

“Are you born a natural attention seeker? If you're alone, then you are. I have plans, stop dragging me to brighten up your lone life.”

Sunoo regretted saying it as soon as it left his mouth. He knew it was already below the belt. He stopped walking and looked back at Riki.

The freshman has an stoic face, far from the usual playful smile resting on his lips.  Riki walk past him in silence, making Sunoo feel utterly guilty.

He himself feels lonely and Riki was one great distractions for the dark thoughts he have. It's just that he couldn't dare getting close to him.

“Riki!” Sunoo called, “Fine! Where do you want to eat?”

Sunoo half-heartedly followed behind, making a mental note that this will be the last time he'll do this. Jungwon wouldn't know about it anyway.

+++

Riki hides the smile in his lips, acting as if he's still sulking.

He would not lie and say that the words didn't hurt him. It hits him straight in the heart. He was alone and sad, it's true. But he rather be alone and sad if it means Sunoo will eat lunch with him.

And maybe, he is an attention seeker. He will not deny it if it means Sunoo will give him some of his time.

They entered the nearest open food shop in the street. They sat in front of each other on a table and enjoyed the hot soup partnered with rice and other side dishes Riki have ordered.

One thing that Riki notices, Sunoo would constantly look around the shop. He never once even lifted his gaze and was just looking down as if hiding from someone. There were only three other person near their age eating in the shop.

Riki kept observing, until they have finished eating.

“You have someth—”

Sunoo leans back avoiding Riki's attempt of wiping his chin. He did it himself using the tissue on the table before looking around the shop again.

Riki just watched, slightly confused.

“They're not even looking at you, why do you seem nervous?” Riki asked, concerned.

“Can we just leave?” Sunoo said, already standing up.

Riki didn't argued back as he took his wallet out of his pocket. Sunoo walked out the food shop first while Riki pays for the food.

Once Riki was outside, he pulled Sunoo in a hug.

“What do you think are you doing?” Sunoo whisper shouted, trying to push Riki away but the younger held him more.

“Look, they don't even care in whatever we do,” Riki said, finally letting Sunoo away to look back at the person left inside the shop.

Sunoo looks inside as well. The three person remained eating, not even bothering to look at them.

“You don't have to be so conscious of yourself in public, some people don't really care,” Riki speaks.

Sunoo looks away, “Keyword, some,” he murmured. “Are you now full? Can I go my way?”

Riki shook his head, “Where are you even going in this weather?”

+++

Sunoo tried hard not to bite back an argument, afraid that it will hurt the freshman's feelings again.

He flinches when he felt Riki's grip on his left wrist.

“Let's get home before the storm gets worst,” Riki said, dragging him back.

Sunoo reluctantly followed, eyes scanning the street for open windows and eyes that's looking. There were none.

On their way back, the storm started getting worst.

“Damn, it's cold,” Riki shivers, looking back at Sunoo. He have long lost his grip on Sunoo's wrist. It was too cold and they have to hide their hands on the pockets of their jackets.

“Were you expecting it to be hot?” Sunoo sarcastically said.

Riki let the sarcastic comment pass by as he stop.

“The apartment is near here,” Riki said.

Sunoo faked a smile, “Good. The dorms are still far from here,” Sunoo said before he started walking again.

Riki stopped him by holding his arms, “The apartment is near. It will be too risky if you continued walking alone.”

Sunoo looked back at Riki, the seriousness in his eyes telling Sunoo that he can never disagree to that.

Sunoo sighed, “Once the storm has calmed, I will leave.”

Riki only nodded.

Sunoo promised to himself that there will be no next time all the while hoping that Jungwon would never know about this.

tengyu_