forty-two

Riki stood beside the security guarding the university gate. He gently pushes the reading glass he stole from Heeseung’s table up his nose as he patiently waits for someone to walk out from the men’s dorm.

He made sure his position is safe enough so he wouldn’t get caught stalking someone.

Stalking? That didn’t sound right. It’s a word used only to describe creeps and old people following people around. Riki is handsome, young and totally not a creep so he cannot be called a stalker.

He preferred to be called an admirer, yeah, Kim Sunoo’s admirer.

Riki let a smile out when he finally saw the familiar figure of someone emerging from the men’s dorm lobby. Unlike the usual, Sunoo wears a different color of coat today just like the past few days. It made Riki feel kind of proud, Sunoo is starting to be himself again. He could also see him making friends already, and that made Riki feel a little bit jealous.

As much as he wanted to approach him, Riki couldn’t take the risk. Sunoo is now doing very well, he’s been slowly getting out of his comfort zone and it’s a good thing. Riki can’t ruin that.

He would prefer seeing Sunoo be happy from afar. Sunoo hates him, he will only bother him if ever he gets close again.

Riki waited for the perfect moment before he walked towards the same way where Sunoo went. Following the sophomore secretly has become Riki’s favorite pastime.

“Hey, Sunoo! We’re planning to have a group study after class, do you want to come?”

Riki turns on the corner only to realize that Sunoo and his classmate were standing on the way. Both of them looked at him and Riki didn’t know what to do.

He avoided Sunoo’s eyes and stepped aside before walking past them. Riki could feel his heart beating fast on his chest. He was so nervous that he forgot he had to take the stairs to his first class. He just continued walking straight down the hallway, the same direction where Sunoo’s first class is.

It was already too late when he realized he’s taking the wrong way. He turns around only to meet Sunoo’s gaze again.

The sophomore was walking just right behind him and Sunoo stopped midway when he turned around.

“You seem lost,” Sunoo simply said.

Riki only stared at the boy. He almost forgot how long it has been since he last saw Sunoo’s face this close.

He blinked as Sunoo smiled widely at him. It was the bright and kind smile that made Riki’s heart flutter, until a voice echoed inside his mind.

I hate Riki.

Riki looks down.

He steps aside before walking past the sophomore.

“Riki.”

Riki stopped midway but didn’t dare looking back.

“I’m sorry about the last time,” He heard Sunoo say.

Which of the things you’ve said and done are you saying sorry for? Riki thought.

“It’s fine,” Riki only said before he continued walking away.

+++

Jungwon looks up to see whoever dared sharing the lunch table with him. In front of him stood the senior he hadn’t seen for almost a week.

“Why are you alone?” Jay asked as he placed his tray of food on the table and sat across Jungwon.

“He found new friends,” Jungwon shrugged. “Why are you alone?”

Jungwon glanced at the usual table where Jay’s group always eat their lunch together. It was now empty.

“I don’t know, they have their own lives now,” Jay said.

Jungwon only nodded before he looked down on his food and started eating again.

They last talked when Jungwon accidentally called Jay. The senior said he’s busy with his academic papers so Jungwon didn’t call again. Also, it was only an accident and he didn’t mean to call him.

“How’s Sunoo doing?” Jay asked, after a couple minutes of silence.

“As I’ve said, he already found new friends and he’s enjoying hanging out with them,” Jungwon said.

“How are you?”

Jungwon felt the senior staring at him.

“I’m fine,” Jungwon said. “I am actually grateful that Sunoo started acting like his old self again. Although he rarely spends time with me now, I know I’m his only best friend.”

Jungwon smiles faintly.

He was genuinely happy for Sunoo, but eating lunch alone feels really lonely.

“How’s Riki?” Jungwon asked after.

“I don’t know, he acts fine,” Jay shrugged. “May…I, uhh…”

Jungwon looked up to meet Jay’s eyes.

“May I know what happened that afternoon when Riki came to the dorms?” Jay asked.

Jungwon looks down again. “I am not in the place to tell you everything, but there’s a misunderstanding between what I know to what Riki has heard.”

“I’m glad,” Jay sighs in relief. “Because I think my brother likes your friend.”

Wait, what?

Jungwon pretended he didn’t hear the last words and just continued eating.

I’m glad, too. Riki and Sunoo like each other.

tengyu_