forty-eight

Sunoo looks beside him, giving Jungwon a judging stare as the latter was busy texting on his phone.

“This is why you’re acting salty,” Sunoo said.

“I’m not acting salty,” Jungwon argued. “I’m doing this for you. You’ve been practicing your speech in front of a mirror every night, I’m not letting all your efforts go to waste.”

“So you gave up your date with Jay?” Sunoo asked.

Jungwon elbowed him, “It’s called spending time.”

Sunoo only rolled his eyes at his best friend before he looked back to check on Riki who was standing behind them. The younger one has been giving him weird looks from the moment they met at the university gate. Now, here they were standing in the large space waiting for the festival to officially start.

Currently, a group of stand-up comedians are performing on the stage and Riki has his full attention watching them, laughing at the corny jokes at times. While Sunoo tries to calm his loud-beating heart.

+++

Jake sat on the couch, turning the television on as he sipped on his glass of fruit shake. It was only him and Sunghoon in the house and the latter is either busy doing his paper or is sleeping.

He sighed, feeling a little disappointed about Heeseung cancelling their date for today. Turns out the older one needed to sign some urgent papers from the veterinary clinic he did his job training, and up until now he isn’t back home yet.

Jake really wanted to attend the festival and he’s torn between coming without Heeseung or staying inside until Heeseung arrived.

“Lower the volume, please!”

Jake looked up to see Sunghoon peeking his head from the door of his room, the latter looked like he was disturbed from his sleep. Jake turned the television off, instead.

“I thought you had a date with Heeseung?” Sunghoon asked, walking out of the room.

“He cancelled,” Jake says, disappointment lingering in his voice.

Sunghoon sat beside him, “Why?”

Jake shrugged, “He needed to accomplish some important matters.”

“I don’t think so,” Sunghoon murmurs, but his voice is loud enough for Jake to hear.

“What do you mean?”

Sunghoon flatly smiled at Jake before looking away, making Jake more curious.

“We talked last night,” Sunghoon then says. “About you, me and him.”

+++

Heeseung wiped off the tears that fell from his eyes while the people that surrounded him laughed. The scene on the stage is funny, but Heeseung can’t find any reason to laugh.

He stood in the corner of the field, watching the people gather around before the show finally started. The sun’s already setting and it’s making the skies get a mixed hue of orange and pink.

It was selfish of him to attend the festival without Jake after cancelling their plans, although he knew how much Jake wanted to watch the show so bad. But he can’t continue what he originally planned for this date after Sunghoon came to talk to him last night.

“You don’t have any reason to feel jealous about me and Jake.”

“Because in the first place, I have liked you ever since we started talking in high school.”