forty

Jake sat up from lying flat into Jay’s bed, staring at the laptop screen as he read through the presentation of the report the latter is making.

“Have you finished your report?” Jay asked, pre-saving his work.

“I’m always the first one to present,” Jake said. “I’m only editing my papers and I can sign the graduation papers already.”

“Tough to be you,” Jay shrugged, stretching his arms. “How can you manage to finish two thesis reports at a time all the while working for your Dad’s business?”

Jay stood up and lay himself down on his bed beside the other.

“I’m worried I might get extended one more semester,” Jay says. “What are you doing in my room, anyways?”

Jake avoided Jay’s gaze, making the latter snickers.

“Just talk to him already if you can’t resist it. There’s no point in going to me and asking for my opinion, I’m already stressing out on my studies,” Jay said.

“Why do you talk like you know so many things?” Jake asked.

“Because I know many things,” Jay said, sounding very sure of himself. “I know a lot of secrets from everyone and I’m keeping my mouth shut to balance your life. Unless you’re very curious about some, I might spill tea.”

Jake stared at Jay judgingly.

“Have you gone mad recently?” Jake asked. “You speak like Riki and I hate it.”

Jay only laughs at that.

“But…should I really go talk to him again?” Jake asked again.

Jay sat up beside him, shaking his head.

“Tell me, why are you so mad that Heeseung is jealous of Sunghoon?” Jay asked back.

Jake looks down, asking himself the same question.

“I’m not mad about it,” Jake says. “Of course he has the right to feel jealous and I can understand why, but doesn’t he trust me?”

Jay shrugged, “You do seem a little too close to Sunghoon, and he’s also very close to you.”

“Doesn’t mean we like each other,” Jake says.

“You never know.”

Jake stared at the complicated man sitting beside him, “I’m only here to ask your opinion, don’t make this a little more complicated than it already is.”

Jay shrugged again, whispering something that Jake couldn’t hear.

“What?”

Jay shook his head, “There’s one thing I’ll ask to you…”

Jay sounded serious and Jake has never been very attentive to someone before him.

“Don’t ruin the friendship we shared for years just because of these complicated relationship things. We only have each other,” Jay said.

Jake bites on his lips as he nodded.

“As much as possible, avoid choosing between one another. Although it sounds very complicated right now, both you and Heeseung will soon come into terms and agree that you both need Sunghoon in your life,” Jay continued.

What Jake heard sounded like a puzzle that’s hiding a meaning.

“Anyways, about Riki…” Jay suddenly changes the topic. “I wonder if he already realized his feelings towards the sophomore.”