thirty-nine

“Can I come?”

Sunghoon stopped from tying his shoelace when Jake suddenly spoke from the sofa. He looked up to meet Heeseung’s gaze who was just about to leave Riki’s room.

“Are you talking to me?” Sunghoon confusedly asked as he looked at Jake.

“Who else is leaving the house?” Jake asked. “I’m asking you, stupid.”

Sunghoon let the eye roll and comment go as he drifted his eyes back to Heeseung. There was definitely something that’s going on, he can feel it. Even Jay pointed out the fact that Heeseung and Jake seem to avoid each other yesterday at lunch.

Heeseung avoided Sunghoon’s eyes and proceeded to walk to the kitchen, Riki appearing on his door watching Sunghoon get more confused.

“You don’t even know where I’m going,” Sunghoon says, going back to tying his shoelace.

“Does it matter? I’ll just get my phone,” Jake says before he stood up to get his things in his room.

Sunghoon didn’t bother to respond as if he could do anything about it. This can also be a good timing to ask Jake why he and Heeseung are suddenly avoiding each other.

“Can I come too?”

Sunghoon didn’t have to look up to see who’s suddenly joining him wherever he’s about to go. Riki, who looks like he’s literally just got up from the bed, is already beside him and putting on his own shoes. The boy was still in his pajamas.

“Sure,” Sunghoon can only say.

Sunghoon then stood up after finishing tying up his laces. They only waited for Jake before the three of them walked off the house. They waited for a bit until a taxi arrived. Riki sits in front while Jake sits beside Sunghoon on the back.

“Why is he coming with us?” Jake whispers from beside him.

“Why are you coming with me?” Sunghoon asked back.

Riki clears his throat and Sunghoon meets his gaze from the mirror.

“Heeseung sent you to spy on us,” Jake says.

“Where are we going?” Riki asked, avoiding Jake’s accusation.

“On my dentist,” Sunghoon said. “Why do you guys want to come with me, in the first place?”

Both people didn’t speak as they looked at the open car window and watched the street as they passed by.

Sunghoon managed to catch Riki staring at a person covered in black coat who was leaving one food shop, the sophomore who broke his heart.

“You can tell the driver to stop and just go catch him, if you want,” Jake says.

Riki quickly looks away.

“So you can have Sunghoon all to yourself?”

“Riki,” Sunghoon couldn’t help but give a warning after that.

Riki looks back at them.

“My life is already miserable. Why can’t you, adults, take care of your own miserable love life while I take care of my own?” Riki complained, he looks nothing more than a child complaining about math homework.

“Tell that to someone who was being childish and unreasonable,” Jake said.

“Is being jealous not reasonable?” Riki asked.

Jake puts both of his arms over his chest.

“You’re being childish, too, psh,” Riki said as he looked back at the road in front.

Sunghoon remains silent as he slowly analyzes the information he has just heard.

Is Jake and Heeseung fighting because of me?

+++

Jay felt relief wash over him when he saw Jungwon entering the library on a Saturday. He wasn’t able to see him yesterday and he isn’t answering his calls either. He was glad to cross paths with him in a very convenient way.

“Jungwon,” he called the younger one.

Jungwon only meets his gaze for a second before the sophomore turns on a corner. Jay places the book back on its shelf and follows the younger boy on the aisle he walks into.

“Hey-”

“Please, I’m in a hurry,” Jungwon cuts him off.

Jay can only stare confusedly at the younger who was busy scanning the title of each and every book on the aisle.

There was something that changed in the way Jungwon speaks, or the way he greets a senior- Jay in particular. Jay couldn’t point it out, but he was sure there was something in Jungwon that suddenly just changed.

When Jungwon finally found the book he needed, he walked back to Jay and stared deep into his eyes. Jay stares back, trying to look for the bright Jungwon who adores cats so much.

“Since you’ve been nothing but good to me the last few months, I’ll give you the warning that Sunoo is coming to class starting from Monday,” Jungwon said.

Jay only stared confusedly at the younger.

“If Riki didn’t want to see him around, better arrange his request for online classes. You can do that, right? You should do it so your friend can have his precious time alone,” Jungwon continued.

“What?” Jay asked, confused.

“What what? I’m only giving you the warning. I’m afraid Sunoo’s existence in this university will ruin Riki’s peaceful life. If he wanted to be alone, then be it.”

Jungwon’s voice was filled with sarcasm and Jay was very confused why the younger one was acting this way. He was only trying to fix Sunoo and Riki’s relationship the past weeks, why is he suddenly speaking like this?

“Forgive my rudeness,” Jungwon said again before he walked past Jay and left the library.

Could it be…There was no misunderstanding and everything that Riki overheard from their conversation was everything? Sunoo hates Riki…

tengyu_