thirty-seven

Jake can't keep his eyes off his intertwined fingers with Heeseung. The smile on his face never leaving, he's definitely enjoying being this close to the person he rejected years ago.

Although to be honest, he sometimes miss hanging out with Sunghoon. Jake can notice how the he distanced himself from both him and Heeseung ever since he came back.

“Jake?”

They stop walking as Jungwon greeted them on the university gate.

“Where's Riki?” Jungwon asked.

“He's in—” Jake felt Heeseung's grip on his hand tightens.

“He didn't want to talk to anyone right now,” Heeseung speaks, cutting Jake off.

Jake looked back at the older male. Heeseung looked serious, if not mad.

“It's urgent, I need to ta—”

“Listen to me,” Heeseung speaks, cutting off Jungwon this time. He looked dead serious that even Jake cower his head.

+++

Jungwon has to step back as Heeseung stared back on his eyes with a deadly glare.

“Your friend isn't the only one dealing with a situation right now. Riki has his own problems and insecurities too. He also received damage and also has the right to isolate himself whenever he likes,” Heeseung harshly speaks.

Jungwon can only stare at the senior's glaring eyes. It was far from the Heeseung who was sweetly talking to him last year outside the university. As if he was not the Heeseung who would play with children at the near adoption center, or that Heeseung who cares for little animals.

He looked down, biting on his lips. Jungwon's gaze landed on two intertwined hands between the two senior. Jungwon's sight gets blurry as tears welled up in his eyes for unknown reason.

He just want to talk to Riki and explain the unheard part of Sunoo's confession. He only wanted to help, to clear the guilt he's bearing in his heart since highschool.

+++

Jake was about to approach the sophomore but Heeseung already dragged him away. He couldn't do anything but look at Jungwon with pity in his eyes.

“Isn't that too harsh of you? He was only asking,” Jake said, looking up at the older male.

“I was right,” Heeseung said. “Riki stayed up all night crying beside me, you know.”

“I know, but you can at least tell him about it more calmly. I think you scared the poor sophomore,” Jake speaks, looking back at where Jungwon is still standing.

Jake couldn't take the pity and guilt inside of him as he watch Jungwon. He sighed as he remove his hand from Heeseung's.

“Why?” Heeseung stopped walking and confusely stared at Jake.

“I know you're only being protective of Riki, but shouldn't we at least give Jungwon a chance to explain his bestfriend's side? Even Jay will probably let Jungwon talk to Riki,” Jake said.

“But Riki said no,” Heeseung insisted.

“He didn't. We're up all night hearing his cries. What if there's actually a misunderstanding like Sunghoon predicted? And Ju—”

“Why is suddenly Sunghoon's name got dragged into this conversation?”

“Because he has a point!”

+++

Both males sighed. Heeseung breathing in deep to control the sudden anger and jealousy building up inside him.

Sunghoon again.

Heeseung couldn't understand how Sunghoon's name suddenly got dragged in this conversation—in every conversation. Jake never left a chance go to mention his name.

“Can you please refrain from mentioning Sunghoon's name?”

Jake stared at him with disbelief.

“I never know you sometimes don't use your brain,” Jake shakes his head in disappoinment. “This conversation  was not about Sunghoon.”

Heeseung look back at where Jungwon was standing. The sophomore has already left. Before Heeseung could react, Jake left him there.

It may be too late to realize, but Jake was right. The conversation wasn't about Sunghoon. It's only his jealousy kicking in.

Sunghoon might be his friend, and it didn't sound right to blame him. It was Heeseung's fault anyways, that he sent Sunghoon to Jake and there's no doubt that Jake is now closer to Sunghoon than to him.

Heeseung knew he already lost Jake even after this argument.

+++

A/N

Heeseung and Jungwon's short interactions are in chapter six and seven, if you forgot.

Anw, I just received an e-mail that my exam schedule will be Wednesday to Friday next week. I may not be able to update during those times so I'm using this stress-free moment. However, also, a typhoon is coming to our region tonight. I'm hoping it will not be as destroying as the past typhoons.

To any readers from Luzon, Philippines, and to everyone as well. Always keep safe. Let's meet at Enhypen concert someday, when the time comes *finger cross*

tengyu_