thirty-six

“I hate Riki.”

Riki slowly stepped back, trying to not make a noise as he retreat. He closed the door behind before he walks away.

He bites the inside of his cheeks in order to control the tears welling up on his eyes. Why does it hurts to actually hear Sunoo say those words?

He only wanted to apologize for the result of his persistence in getting close with Sunoo. He wanted to create another fresh start, thinking maybe Sunoo will accept him again.

Riki have observed how the students reacted to the rumor. They're just curious, some are even happy, supportive even. They meant no harm. People around are more open minded than those in Sunoo's highschool.

But Sunoo hates him. Already. Without even considering that he was also a victim of the rumor.

Riki's effort of running to that food shop only to be able to meet Sunoo again isn't worth it. His effort of fake buying a useless cardboard only to see him isn't worth it as well.

He just wanted to see Sunoo even for a second. He wanted to make sure he was okay. He felt bad for ignoring Sunoo, but he knew that even when he try to talk to him, he will only push him away. Seeing his face for a second is enough for Riki.

He was actually worried to see Sunoo crying on his way back to the dorms. Riki approached him but Sunoo didn't even look up to meet his eyes. Riki then went to find Jungwon and asked if he could come with him on the dorms.

It was such a bad decision. He shouldn't have entered the room with Jungwon. Then, he wouldn't have to hear those words.

+++

Sunoo detached himself from Jungwon and wiped the tears in his cheeks again, drying it off before he rested his head back on Jungwon's shoulder.

“I don't know. It hurts to see Riki avoiding me,” Sunoo started. “The fact that I asked him to leave me alone...why does it hurt to see him actually pretend like he didn't know me?”

Silence surrounded them as Jungwon didn't respond.

Sunoo feels another tears falling off his eyes as he speaks again, “Jungwon-ah...The rumors about me were right.”

“What do you mean?” Jungwon asked, confuse.

“I'm gay.”

“I told you not to listen to other's opinion ab—”

“Listen to me, Jungwon,” Sunoo speaks, cutting off Jungwon's words. “I'm gay.”

Jungwon stared at his bestfriend, unable to say anything. Sunoo sounded like he's affirming that the rumors were true. He sounded like he didn't hate the word ‘gay’, like he realized he really is—

“And I don't hate Riki.”

Jungwon was too stunned to speak, repeating the words in his head, wondering if he heard everything right.

“I realized I like him now that he's avoiding me...and it's hurting me so bad,” Sunoo confessed, breaking down into tears again.

Jungwon embraced his bestfriend back in his arms.

Why did Riki left so early? Jungwon thought.

tengyu_