CHAPTER 87 -Chimera Ant-

Beginne am Anfang

But judging by this... A human didn't do it. Most likely, it was a Chimera Ant. If the Chimera Ants were using guns... He hates to consider the possibility, but it's possible that NGL's underground rulers have already been fed to the queen.

What would happen if Chimera Ants were born with their genes?

NGL and Chimera Ants. It's the worst combination imaginable. This will be an unprecedented biohazard.

"...!"

Just then, Killua was distracted from his train of thought as he heard someone vomiting. Snapping his head to the side, he could already see Rin bent over a tree. The congealed contents of her stomach emerged in the morning light. She heaved again and once more, the ground was sprayed.

"Rin! What's wrong?!" Killua rushed to her side, rubbing her back to make her feel better

"The... blood..." She muttered before heaving again.

"Oi, Rin! Get a hold of yourself!"

Gon didn't look away from the scene while Killua was preoccupied with Rin; he just kept staring. There was visible fear in his eyes. He felt a wave of déjà vu flood over him. From that night forward, he was always plagued by nightmares depicting the same scene. While he was focusing his attention on the pool of blood, he suddenly became aware of another vision that was superimposed on the sight. He didn't see a dead body, but Rin and the sight of her made him tremble. There was no amount of slow, deep breathing that would allow him to keep his normal state of mind, even if he tried. One thing for certain...

The situation has taken a sudden turn for the absolute worst.

*****************

The village they encountered was eerily quiet. The houses were all in various states of disrepair, with crumbling walls and shattered windows, giving the impression that this place had been ransacked not for long.

"Nobody's here," Rin muttered.

As the three of them walked, the only sounds were the crunching of leaves under their feet and the occasional creaking of old wooden beams. The air was thick with the scent of decay and neglect, and the silence felt oppressive.

"Hey... something smells." Gon scrunched his nose.

Suddenly, Rin let out a sharp gasp, her hand flying to her mouth. Gon and Killua looked over to see what had caught her attention, and their eyes fell upon a grisly sight.

"...!"

Three horses were impaled on dead trees, their limp body skewered through the abdomen. Blood had trickled down the trees and pooled on the ground below, and the horses' eyes were wide and unseeing.

"Prey impaled on twigs," Gon stated.

"Huh?"

"It's a trait found in birds called bull-headed shrikes. They impale their prey on sharp objects, like branches." He explained.

Rin's heart began to race as she realized that this was no accident. Someone or something had impaled the horses on the trees deliberately.

She looked around, her eyes scanning the surrounding trees for any signs of movement. But the forest was still and quiet, and there was no sign of any predator when suddenly.

"Hey!" The three of them snapped their heads toward the source of the new voice in unison.

That's when their eyes went wide looking at the creature.

As the sun set on the horizon, casting the forest in a warm golden light, a strange creature came from the shadow. It was like nothing they had ever seen before. A creature mix of a human, rabbit, and bird. The creature had a long, fluffy tail like a cottontail rabbit, but its body was covered in iridescent purple feathers that shone in the fading light. The creature's body was that of a toned man, but it has long ears that twitched at the slightest sound.