S i x t e e n

Irene smiled walking into the cafe

Irene smiled walking into the cafe. This is the longest time span shes been away from her mom in her entire life. She missed her more than anything. She was her mom. She did everything with her and together.

Irene opened the glass doors and immediately found Daniel and her mom sitting at a double seated table. She smiled brightly with a textbook lodged in her hand. She threw them around her mother and squeezed her tightly. She smelled dingy, but smelt like home and Irene loved it.

"Mom, why didn't you tell me you were coming?" Irene smiled and dragged over a chair from a nearby table over to her mom. Her mom smiled until she turned around to Daniel.

"Please don't speak of what i told you today." She quietly whispered. Daniel nodded and Irene placed her chair to have its back to the other customers and Vasco. Vasco watched her beautiful figure drag over the chair and smile like he's never seen before. She sat with her back to him and he watched with such admiration in his eyes.

    "She looks nothing like her mom. Im surprised they're even related." Ira said to his small group.

    "What'd you mean by that?" Jace eyed him. Ira was blushing hard at the girl. Nobody knew about Vasco and Irene's strange relationship besides Daniel, Mira, Jace and Lia. They kept it pretty quiet. Irene didn't really care if people saw them together, but Vasco did. He often fought and he wa almost scared to be seen around her.

    Right now he felt betrayed by her, but he couldn't take his eyes off her.

    "Mom, I'm happy you're here, but what's the special occasion?" Irene asked.

    "Well, I wanted to get to talk to your friend and see how you two are. Im surprised he says you and Daniel work at the convenient store and you guys don't fight like you used to when you were babies." She chuckled. Irene smiled as Daniel pushed her drink over to her.

    "Oh, its okay. Mom do you want my drink?" Irene asked. Vasco remembered what her mother said about her habit of doing that. He replayed the amount of times he gave her something and she thanked him multiple times after trying to give it back.

    "No, dear. Your friend bought it for you, so you should drink it." Her mom eyed Daniel. Now it was all coming together. Whenever they ate, Irene always gave him every bite of her portion. If she made two ramen packs he was eating majority of hers because she never ate a lot and got 'full fast', but that was a lie. He couldn't believe he neglected so much when it came to Irene that his mom had to tell him to make him realize.

    Why wasn't he closer with his family?

    "So, you were studying for your exams? I told Daniel about your grades and how hard you work." Mom laughed, scratching the back of her head.

    "Yeah, the SAT's are coming up. This school is a bit more challenging than the last." Irene chuckled and took a sip of the tea. Even though she didn't want to be rude she still offered Daniel to have a few sips of her drink.