S e v e n

"You? So, you're the friend of the pretty girl?" The clerk eyed Daniel while Irene got changed in the back to the small dark green T-shirt they had to wear

"Yes..." Daniel nodded. The clerk gave Daniel a suspicious glare before turning away with his arms crossed in front of his chest.

"Sorry, but this wont work. I don't hire high schoolers." The clerk said.

"What?! My friend in the back is a high schooler!"

"Oh...is she?" He asked, rubbing his neck awkwardly.

"Well i meant male high schoolers since they are less trust worthy and always bring over their friends to have parties." He made up an excuse.

"HOW?"

"Come to think of it... high schoolers  don't have a clue about the name of cigarette brands." The clerk turned away from him, condescendingly.

Just then, as Daniel was listing  all the different kinds of cigarette brands, Irene walked out in short jean shorts and a dark green uniform. She was gorgeous in the most simple looks.

"Hey, tell her. He wont let me join now after you said i could." Daniel tattled on the clerk.

"Why? You said it was fine." Irene looked over to the man. She didn't look very happy from the looks of it. She knew exactly why Daniel wasn't being allowed in and that was making her blood boil.

"He's not someone i can trus—"

"If he cant join with me im not joining either. It would be safer for someone else to be with me anyway at such late hours." Irene said, looking down at the clerk, who now seemed tongue tied.

"...Fine." He sighed. Irene smiled and walked over to Daniel, giving him an XXXL shirt for their uniform. The clerk's hours were off now, so now it was Irene and Daniel alone. The clerk did go over a few things for them to do and that was about it. Most of the time he was focused on Irene's pretty face.

"He wants us to stock the chip aisle." Irene said, looking down at the list the clerk made for them.

The hours were passing by slowly. Daniel and Irene sat behind the counter while they waited for someone to walk in. They greeted everyone with an overly enthusiastic greeting and offered to help them with anything, but most didn't seem in the mood for Daniel and since Irene sat on a chair in the back they didn't see her.

Irene went through albums she wanted that were in her list. She was starting to get sleepy around 12:30 after she finished her procrastinated homework. She wrapped herself in a blanket she found in the back and accidentally fell asleep while listening to a podcast. Daniel didn't want to wake her up since he knew she wasn't sleeping very well due to a lot of stress in their lives happening currently.

He still couldn't forget reality, but when he looked at the best sister in the world a small part of reality seemed to fade. He was happy that out of everything that was changing, Irene wasn't one of them. She may have changed a bit since the schedules and hate for attention. She sort of looked lonely, but peaceful when she slept.