F i f t y S i x

.
.

    The bus trip finally ended after Irene and Jay passed out on each other for the short trip

The bus trip finally ended after Irene and Jay passed out on each other for the short trip. Irene kept her eyes closed and laid her head on top of jay's sleeping head on her shoulder. Daniel stood up form his seat and woke the two up from their slumber in their uncomfortable seats.

"Come on. We gotta go." Daniel said, patting Irene's head and waking her up a little aggressively. He grabbed her bag from under her seat and strapped it on one arm and watched the two wake each other up and groggily wobble out of their seats into the aisle. Irene blinked her eyes awake and took her brothers hand to go down the metallic stairs onto the night street.

The air was cold and the gentle breeze was refreshing. Irene looked around at the familiar setting of the run down buildings, exposed cable lines of the working street lights, stray cats and dogs running around, the broken bottles on the street and cigarettes rolling in the dark street from the breeze. As lowly as it seemed, Irene still missed everything about it. She missed the consistency and the feel of it all.

Daniel, Jay and Irene walked down the cold street with the breeze running through them. Irene huddled close to her brother for his body warmth and continued up the hill a bit. Daniel kept asking fake questions and acting as if he had the GPS on his phone. They walked with the stars hanging over their head until they reached a dark building with a yellow light coming from the second floor window of the small condo building. Irene was the first to hop up the stairs, excited to see her mom with her heart pounding.

She knocked gently on the door a bit of a rhythmic knock and stamped her feet with excitement as Jay and Daniel walked up the outside stairs to catch up with a bouncing Irene. She hasn't been homes in what feels like years, but in reality been a month or two. The craziest month or two in her 17 years of living, undoubtably.

"Hello." Irene smiled as the door unlocked to an older short woman with curly short hair, wrinkles and a wide smile that could warm anyones heart. Irene smiled brightly at the woman and tilted her head a bit. She smiled in a frown and hugged her mom. The hug was longing and sentimental. It was welcoming and warming. It was long overdue.

"Oh please, come in!" Her mom opened the door a little further to let the boys in. Irene walked back into her old familiar home when she saw piles of scraps. Piles of cardboard stacked on one another on the carpet. The blankets they once sat on for dinner were gone. Everything was gone besides the scraps of cardboard. She

Irene looked around and it hit her hard. Her mom was poor and this was worse than them. Than what they went through. It was dirty looking, but Irene knew no matter what her mom wouldn't let that happen. Her mom was as much of a clean freak as she was. The life of poverty meant no matter how hard you worked you still felt dirty. Thats how it always will be.

"How've you been?" Their mom asked Daniel as he walked in with Jay behind him. She was back on the ground folding and stacking the cardboard on the ground while Irene stood frozen at the door, looking down at her mom. The moment she left, this is what her mom went through. She still managed to put a bright smile on her face. "Daniel's sleeping, but...I see Daniel and Irene have so many friends."