Maze

Nine:

I don't really know and no idea, because I've been too focused on my dreams and Almos, and right now I feel so guilty just thinking, I neglected my only best friend.

"Where is he?" I quickly asked Claire and when I've learned where Chadd is I quickly came out of our room and run towards the place where Chadd takes time to break.

Rooftop

I finally found Chadd lying comfortably on the rooftop floor of our school building while silently gazing at the sky.

"Chadd!" I quickly called out his name and when I step forward my right foot suddenly my surroundings changes. Darkness begins to envelope and I saw something at my front that begins to shape. A dark figure begins to emerge, how can I describe it?

A flowing dark cape with a hood on its head and whoever it is, it conveys a very dark darkness as it floats towards me. But before it came closer someone already pulled me away from it.

...

"Jeanne!"

That voice! I quickly look up only to meet, "Almos? Wh-what are you doing here?"

"We don't have much time to--" he was stop when a very deep and cold voice suddenly envelops the whole place and it made me cringe in fear. "They are here!"

"Wh-who?" I asked as my voice trembled in fear.

"You have to run."

"What?"

"We don't have time to explain. Right now the important thing is that you get out of this maze and no matter what happens, never look back at anything else you hear. Understand?"

"But--"

"No more buts, Jeanne! I need you to stay safe and I'll do anything and everything just to make sure of it!" he firmly stated and I could feel his intense protection of me.

For that I decided to follow him. "O-okay! I'll do what you said."

"Good! Now! Go!"

"Wait!" I stop him when he was about to leave me. "How can I escape this maze?"

"Only you can answer your question because you know this whole place better than me." I didn't understand what he said so I just managed to stare at him. "Jeanne!" he holds me at the both sides of my shoulder and shakes me. "Wake up and be alert! Now, run!" he shouted and with that I finally walk away as soon as he released me.

And as he instructed me not to do, I never looked back at him even though I heard strange sounds I keep myself going forward away from that place.

...

Breathless, I stopped and rested my hands on my knees. Then, I quickly look around only to find out that I'm still inside our school building and even though I could see the outside world painted with darkness that will creeps you out. I still couldn't find the right way to escape out of this place. And as what Almos told me, it is a maze.

I almost go round and round, there are downhill, uphill, doors to another room or staircase and worse dead ends or so deep ravines I open. I almost feel very tired from what I'm doing. Add the scary growls and exploding sounds that are hard to explain, so I'm even more tired because I'm so scared. I also can't go back or even look back at the place I left with Almos. So I have no choice but to find the exit of this maze alone.

"Ayyy!" I screamed out loud because of the frustration that begins to build up more and more.

Then, I look around and all my hopes begin to fade. Slowly I fall into my knees and let my tears fall out of my eyes that cloud my sight. I cry because of the collective emotions and tiredness I feel.

"I don't want this anymore! I give up!" I whined out loud. "Please! Let me out!" I'm lost, tired, hopeless and scared that is why I surrender. I'm just f@cking tired.

Then suddenly I heard his voice. 'Jeanne! Wake up and be alert!' he said that made my head look up but I didn't see him anywhere. 'This is what 'he' wants to make you weak and scared. So don't let 'him' and fight it! Because I know you can do it, you can figure the way out! Just calm yourself first and try to relax more. So, go! Stand up! You can escape that maze on your own. Just look at it carefully and don't be deceived by it because you already knew how to get out of it.'

With my tears still flowing out of my eyes I try to calm down myself, as what Almos told me, I then search the whole place with calmness. Slowly, I finally see it. The entrance that I was looking for this whole time was just in front of me.

'The hell with this maze!' I lightly cursed before I sweep my tears away and straighten my body. Alright! With one inhale and exhale, I stand up and walk towards the maze exit.

...

"Jeanne!"

I was shocked when I suddenly heard Chadd's voice and that was the only time I was able to step my right foot on the floor.

"Ch-Chadd?!" my voice trembled as I speak while he stand up and came closer to me.

"Are you alright?!" and he immediately holds me to my arms.

"... I..." What is the correct answer to his question? 'I don't know!' I screamed out loud to myself before I fainted.

I don't know and I don't understand why is it happening? Even when I'm not sleeping, I'm still able to get into a dream. Add to that, those strange creatures that suddenly emerge out from the darkness that surrounds the whole school.

They were all frightening and the only thing I am thankful for is the arrival of Almos. Because of him, I was able to fight my fear. The reason why for me, I already believe he is my 'Guardian Angel'.

*** ***