Breakups

All of the girls were playing Uno and I won two rounds and they couldn't win any. "You're cheating!" Carmen yells when I win again. I get out of my seat to show that I wasn't hiding any cards. "See! I'm just naturally good at this." It had been two days and me and Eli still hadn't talked. I think he's being an asshole. I'm not apologizing because I didn't do anything wrong. He's just being stubborn.

"How long are you and Eli gonna go without talking?" Yulani asks. "Until he apologizes for being an asshole, has Eli always been this stubborn?" "Yes, but he'll eventually apologize" Carmen says. 

Eli comes through the front door with his shirt off and shorts on. Sweat was dripping from his hair. I watch him as he walks upstairs. "Venus, you're staring" I look at Iris. "What?" "You're staring at him" Harmony says. "Wasn't staring at him" "what were you staring at then?" "Nothing, let's just play the game."

...

We got done playing Uno so I went to put on some clothes to go to the training room. I went down to the training room and put on some boxing gloves and started punching the punching bag. Eli comes into the room as I was stretching. "Sorry, I'll leave" "Eli, how long are we gonna keep playing this game, it's childish."

"You made it perfectly clear you didn't wanna be seen with me, V" "I never said that, Eli, I love you" "do you really?" "How could you say that? After everything we've been through, you know I love you" "Venus, you haven't been showing me you love me lately" "Eli, what? That's all I do is show you love!"

"I can't be with someone who I love more than they love me" Eli says. "Eli, you are so fucking arrogant, how can you sit here and say some shit like that when I love you more than I love myself?"

"Venus, I need a break" "of course you do, you need break from everything, we have one fight and you're just done with everything, you know what, fuck you, Eli." I storm out of the room.

I go to my bedroom to change my clothes and then I decide to go to my parents house and sleep there tonight since my bed sheets smelled like Eli and I didn't feel like changing them.

I pull up to the house and I get stopped by a guard I had never seen before. "What are you, new or something?" I ask him. "Yes" "of course you are, I'm literally their child so just open the gate" "I can't do that without proof, anyone would say they're a Cortez just to get in."

"Bro, what are you doing, this is Venus Cortez, let her in" Another guard walks up to him. He looks at the guard and then back at me. "I am so sorry..." "you better hope she doesn't tell Mr. Cortez about this. "Don't worry about it, you were just looking out for my parents, I won't tell him."

I pull into the driveway and then I get out my car and ring the doorbell. My father opens the door  and I could see him almost wanting to smile. "Venus, what are you doing here?" "Staying here tonight" "for what?" "Don't feel like staying at Damon's house."

I sit down on the living room couch. "Why not?" "Dad, why do you care so much?" "because you're my daughter" "you haven't cared about me all these years, don't start now" "you think I don't care about you?"

"No, I don't think, I know you don't give a fuck about me" "Venus, I may not act like I do...but I love you" "a lot of people told me they loved me and didn't mean it" I think about Eli. He sits down beside me on the couch.

"I have a feeling this isn't about me, what's wrong?" "It's nothing" "Venus" I sigh. "I just broke up with my boyfriend, well more like he broke up with me" "I didn't even know you had a boyfriend" "yeah well, Elijah Romero isn't exactly boyfriend material" "Elijah Romero? Oh no, you could do so much better."

"Dad, you're only saying that because you and Matteo, aka Elijah's dad are enemies" "no I'm saying that because you could honestly do better, trust me" "what do you mean by that?" "I shouldn't say too much."