Chapter Twenty-Two

The smell of copper lingered in the damp musty air

The scent of death permeated the entire basement. Sypha and Trevor, with Y/N's help were able to vanquish all of the night creatures.   

Now all that was left was to leave the nauseating basement and talk to the Judge.

The trio quickly made their way out of the basement and Y/N took in a deep breath of air. 

She frowned at the lingering scent on her clothes, "Remind me to never go into a basement infested with night creatures ever again." 

"Noted," Sypha's lips pulled up into a warm smile.

"Judge?" 

At the sound of Trevor's voice,  Y/N turned her attention to the body in front of her. 

Laid in his own pool of blood was the Judge. 

Sypha knelt down at his side, "What happened to you?" 

"Doesn't matter," he grunted and covered his wound, "I've killed Sala." 

Trevor looked around, "Where is he?" 

"In the woods, under the apple tree," he coughed up blood, "Find me my knife." 

The healer found the weapon cast aside on the ground and gave it to the dying man, "Why?"

"I'm going to see that bastard in hell and kill him when he arrives," he gasped before wheezing in pain and with his final breath he muttered, "Burn my house down." 

Sypha stood up from her kneeled position and looked over at Trevor and Y/N. 

The trio begin walking the path he described and eventually stumbled upon a large spiked pit. 

"I think we've found Sala," Trevor muttered as he looked at the grisly scene. 

"Look at the bones that are under him," Y/N tilted her head, "Animal bones?" 

They began walking to the Judge's home, "Y/N? Did the Judge ever seem... off to you?" 

Y/N frowned at Trevor's question, "I had not known him for very long but he never seemed to be off-putting or insane." 

Soon the triad reached the front of the man's home, one of the few buildings that were still intact. 

Sypha crossed her arms, "Should we really burn down one of the few remaining buildings of this town?"

Y/N uncrossed her arms, "It was his final request. It would be wrong not to honor it."

"I agree, but we should torch the place after we've explored it," Trevor stared at the house with a frown.  

Sypha placed her hands on her hips with a slow shake of her head, "Wow, Trevor. Raiding a dead man's house, this is a new low even for you."

The hunter raised his hands in defense, "I want to know what he'd been hiding behind that locked door," he leaned closer to her with a cheeky smile, "And I know that you are at least a bit curious."