Chapter Twenty-Eight

Six days

Six days. 

It had been six days since she had gotten to the castle. 

Six days since she had seen Alucard. 

She missed the dhampir, there was a human aspect about him that the Council Castle lacked. 

She and Mariam had been spending a lot of time together. They spent most of their time reading and strolling around the castle. The air was cold and frigid so they never went outside.

She rarely saw any of the other sisters and she didn't realize until her fifth day that there were other people in the castle beside the sisters. Hundreds of students roamed the floors on the lower levels.

A knock sounded on her door. 

She stood up and opened the entrance, "Hello?" 

In front of her stood Mariam with a thick stack of papers bound together by rope on their margins, "I got this for you," she handed the papers over. 

Y/N examined the title, in ornate letters it read: 

Homer's The Odyssey.

Mariam invited herself into the room, "I remember you saying that you wanted to read it and we had the book in the library but it was in Greek."

Her eyes strayed from the pile of papers to her newfound companion, "This is in English?" 

"I translated it for you," Mariam stared at her unblinkingly, "Do you like it?" 

Y/N admired the penmanship and the dedication to detail, "I love it." 

Tears threatened to fall from her eyes. She hadn't seen her parents in years and there was nothing she had to remember them by. 

Only distant memories and those were fading as time passed.

At the very least she could feel connected to them through her recollections of her past. Through her father's recipes or her mother's readings. 

She quickly blinked away her tears and looked at Mariam with a warm smile, "I can not even begin to explain how much this means to me," she walked over to Mariam and seized the woman in a tight hug. 

The vampire stood still and stiff and just as Y/N was about to pull away for fear she crossed boundaries, Mariam returned the hug.

🧭

The young woman sat quietly with the makeshift book in her hands.

Nine days. 

She had heard nothing about or from Hector. 

While spending time with Mariam was enjoyable, it wasn't what she came to the castle to do. 

She couldn't stay there forever.