Chapter Thirty-Seven

The group advanced up the stairs swiftly

The group advanced up the stairs swiftly. They sliced at night creatures coming their way and dodged at the flailing limbs of the creatures.

The air was hot and uncomfortably sticky.

Saint Germain was growing more powerful by the second and everyone could feel it.

When the group finally made it up the steps they were met with a ghastly sight. Saint Germain stood in front of a messily sewn-together corpse.

The portal of souls had changed to a mirror image of Dracula and Lisa holding each other in an embrace.

Trevor hastily tried to grab the insane sorcerer but was again stopped by the force field. He readied his whip and slashed at the forcefield, Alucard joining in with him.

Sypha readied her fireballs and launched them at the red forcefield.

"Look upon my greatness!" Saint Germain manically laughed, "Look upon my genius!"

The souls spouted from the mirror and bolted into the grotesque body of the Rebis.

The mirror shook and shook until it suddenly broke, sending shards all over the room.

A bony creature in long black robes crawled into the room from the window. It lifted the hood of its cloak and gazed at the Rebis with its gaunt smile.

Trevor's eyes widened as he spotted the skeleton behind Saint Germain, "That's Death!"

"Death?" Y/N raised a brow, "The grim reaper?"

Sypha shook her head, "No, a vampire that's the personification of death."

Saint Germain frowned and looked at the creature, "What are you doing here? Here to gaze at my glory?"

Death shifted into the appearance of a black woman with white alchemic markings on her face and a blue robe, and the alchemist's eyes widened in terror.

"I have come to collect the fruits of my labor, you pitiful human," the creature laughed. "You are but a simple pawn in my plan. The Rebis is a creature of mass destruction destined to be tormented in its body."

"What?" the pale-haired man clenched his fist, "You tricked me!"

"Dracula was creating beautiful mass destruction, the lives he stole gave me power!" the creature transformed back into its skeletal appearance, "He'll take even more lives while tormented with the fear and confusion of his beloved. It will permanently put him in a murderous rage and I will grow more powerful with each life that he takes."

The healer couldn't believe all that happened in hours. Life as she knew it, was being threatened once again by mass genocide.

Y/N turned to look at Alucard to see a look of pure horror on his face. She couldn't imagine how it must have felt for him to see his parents in this light.

The forcefield finally shattered and the group ran into the room only to be thrown back from the blast of the Rebis assembling.

"Where am I?" the creature screeched in its strange voice. It sounded like the two voices were talking simultaneously together.

"Mother?" The dhampir's eyes began to tear up.

"Lisa?" The creature groaned, this time its voice an octave lower, "Darling?"

"Yes... Yes," Death muttered to himself.

The Rebis thrashed around and screeched. Its mangled body twitched and pulled at its stitches.

Trevor stood up and threw his cross knife at the creature, slicing it in half. Saint Germain looked at the creature with determination and recited an incantation, causing the Rebis to explode.

"NO!" Death yelled and fruitlessly reached for the destroyed Rebis.

Sypha coughed at the smoke and dust in the air, while Y/N waved it away. They all stood up from the impact of the blast.

The land had broken into platforms with Sypha, an unconscious Alucard, and Y/N on one end and Trevor on the other with Death.

Saint Germain coughed and Y/N looked over to see him with a shard from the cross-knife in his chest. The gray-haired man wheezed from coughing up blood and gripped the key in his hand.

Death sighed before picking up the key from the dying man, "Nonetheless, I will continue with my plan," he swallowed the key.

"Oh no," she watched as the creature grew as big as a building.

Trevor slowly stood up and gripped his whip. "I refuse to let you continue wreaking havoc on innocent people," he looked over his shoulder at Y/N and Sypha, "I have too much to protect."

"Trevor," she watched with a frown. Her heart shattered at the resolute expression on his face.

She remembered their conversation in the woods. The was promised to never lose anything again.

"Don't you dare!" Sypha yelled to him and stood up on shaky legs.

The hunter raised his whip and began fighting Death. They traded blows and fought with ferocity.

They moved so fast that oftentimes they disappeared amidst a cloud of dust.

Sypha looked over at her, "We need to do something!"

The distress was clear in Sypha's face with her furrowed brows and teary eyes.

"There's nothing we can do," she looked back at the fight to see Trevor plunge his dagger into Death's skull.

The creature exploded.

Trevor disappeared in the firey blast and a sob broke free from Sypha's throat. The healer could only watch as the blast approached them.

A loud noise entered her ears before searing hotness touched her skin and the world went black.