Chapter Twenty-Seven

The healer wandered the halls of the large castle

She had woken up nearly an hour ago and after washing up she decided to explore.

Her sleep was uneventful and passed like clouds over a town.

Y/N was hoping to stumble across something worthwhile, hopefully, Hector. 

"Y/N, I was looking for you."

The healer turned her head to see Mariam walking toward her with a frown. The white-haired woman crossed her arms when she came to a stop, "Where have you been?" 

"Looking for something to do," Y/N mirrored Mariam's body language, "What do you need help with?"  

"I'm organizing some books in the library," she turned around and began walking, leaving Y/N to hastily follow her, "Vampire history and such."

The healer matched Mariam's unrelenting pace, "Interesting. I assumed that you all had maids and butlers to do such menial tasks."

Mariam shrugged and said simply, "I don't find indulging in important history a chore." 

"Good to know," she spared the woman a small smile, "I love intellectuals." 

"Likewise, hopefully, you'll learn something from the library," Mariam continued with her brisk steps. 

A frown threatened to pull itself onto the healer's lips. Mariam wasn't a completely unpleasant purpose but her demeanor left things to be desired. 

Despite the mostly positive treatment she was getting, she was on high alert. 

Hector was nowhere to be found for the minimal snooping she did and Mariam seemed a bit off. Not to mention, she wasn't noted in the book about the Council of Sisters and every other sister was.

Mariam pushed open two large doors to reveal a library that could even contend with the Belmont Hold. 

The library was three-stories high with bookshelves that went from floor to ceiling on all levels. Bookcases filled any and all spaces.   

"Wow," she released a breath she didn't know she was holding. 

A small smile appeared on Mariam's painted lips, "We've been collecting knowledge for centuries. Knowledge that is otherwise forgotten by current society."

"I'm definitely impressed," Y/N slowly walked into the library, "What do you need help with in particular?"

Mariam gestured for her to follow her and she did, "We recently got a shipment of books from a neighboring kingdom. I want you to help me organize them."

Mariam motioned to a group of crates stacked tall. 

Y/N internally groaned at the sight before giving Mariam a strained smile, "All right."