Chapter Twenty-Three

All the curtains were drawn open, allowing the moonlight to peak into the otherwise dark room

All the curtains were drawn open, allowing the moonlight to peak into the otherwise dark room. Under the watchful gaze of the moon, the dhampir struggled in his binds. 

"What's happening?" he looked between the two hunters with furrowed brows. 

Sumi frowned, "You've been lying to us."

His eyes widened, "I have not." 

He felt a painful tightness in his throat and a feeling akin to nausea swirling in his stomach. He had never meant to mislead the hunters in any way. However, there were some things that they weren't ready to know. 

She crossed her arms, "You have because everyone lies to us." 

"You haven't taught us how to move the castle or any magic," Taka glared at him, "You've been hiding things from us."

"You're no different than the others!" she hissed. 

"I tried to be," he muttered. 

"And yet you're still no different."

"Y/N was probably the only thing keeping you sane and with her gone you're unpredictable," she picked up her nightdress and pulled a knife out of the pocket, "if something happened to her you would go on a rampage the same as your father did."    

His undead heart ached at the mention of Y/N and their accusations. How could he ever turn out like his father? 

He had done everything right, stopped the apocalypse, surrounded himself with sane people, and tried to create a new generation of vampire hunters to prevent the possibility of a mass genocide from happening ever again. 

The vampire hunter reached into his discarded clothes and revealed a vial of holy water, "We can't risk another mass genocide."

Sumi grabbed the vial from Taka and covered her dagger in the holy liquid, "We will search this castle and reveal its secrets. Learn everything that you refused to tell us and build our own empire."

The dhampir softened his gaze, "Please, I understand that you both had a hard life, but not everyone is against you," he looked at them sincerely. "I'm not against you." 

She raised her dagger with a sadistic smile, "Of course not. You'll be dead." 

A pit formed in his stomach at the sight of the incoming knife. He quickly summoned his sword and watched mutely as it slit his former friend's throat and disemboweled the other. 

Blood splashed on him but he paid no mind to it. 

Not when the look of betrayal and fear was placed on Sumi's face as she choked to death on her own blood.  

"I told you my father didn't like magical weapons," he released a shaky breath, "But I never said that I didn't use them." 

He quickly removed his binds and laid motionlessly. Tears welled up in his eyes and not a moment later a choked sob escaped his lips.