Chapter Twelve

The sound of ragged breaths and the smell of ash lingered in the air

The fight was bloody and challenging. 

After Sypha and Trevor delivered the final blows to Dracula under the watchful eyes of Alucard's childhood toys, a startling silence hung in the air.

Alucard stared on in horror as he watched his father's body be desecrated. He understood that there was no other way, but he couldn't shake the impending doom he felt as he pushed the stake into his father's heart and watched as the life drained from his body.    

It seemed so strange to know someone your whole life and for them to always be there and in one moment, they're gone.

The trio stood in silence. 

Sypha and Trevor glanced at each other before their eyes flickered to Alucard. In the short time of knowing the dhampir, they had never seen him so distraught. 

He was the 'sleeping soldier' the 'vampire' a 'creature of the night' and yet he looked so human. 

Trevor couldn't tell if that was because his mother was a human or if Alucard was always destined to be more human than the average vampire. 

The Speaker bit her lip and looked at the dhampir sullenly, "I'm sorry, Alucard, it was the only way." 

"You ended a war on mankind," Trevor scowled at the lump of ash, "Don't get weepy about it." 

Sypha glared at Trevor, before softening her expression to look at Alucard, "Trevor is right. But it's all right to mourn the man, too." 

Alucard sighed before picking up his father's wedding ring, the only thing to survive the blaze. 

"He died a long time ago." 

The trio stood in silence once more as Alucard stared at the gold band. 

Alucard never anticipated that the death of his father would pain him so intensely, however, he also didn't think about killing his father.

He never imagine staring back into his father's lifeless eyes as he shriveled into skin and bones, and even his worst nightmares wouldn't conjure the idea of his father stumbling to him with lifeless open arms and a mouth frozen in the shape of a silent scream.  

"Wait a second," Sypha interrupted the somber mood. 

Trevor stopped looking around the room, "What?" 

Fear crossed her face, "Where's Y/N?"

Alucard's brows furrowed, "I thought she was with you both."

Trevor's forehead creased, "We haven't seen her since she ran off earlier."

"We should go find her," she spoke up while looking at the two, "She would've come to find us by now." 

"Sypha, you needn't worry," Trevor patted the woman on her shoulder, "Y/N's a big girl, she'll be fine."