Chapter Thirty

The healer clutched her coat closer to herself and watched as her breath swirled in front of her from the cold atmosphere

The healer clutched her coat closer to herself and watched as her breath swirled in front of her from the cold atmosphere. She had decided to go on another walk with Mariam.

The first few had been quite enjoyable and it had been quite some time since she went outside. 

"How is the book?" Mariam turned to look at her.

"Enjoyable," Y/N chuckled, "I finally understand some of the ramblings my mother was going on."

A frown settled on her face as her true thoughts seeped into her mind. She was worried about Hector, plain and simple. It seemed like Mariam wasn't telling the whole truth. Surely he would have written to them by now. 

"I'm sorry to bring down the mood but have you heard from Hector or Carmilla yet?" she interrupted their calm silence. 

Mariam clasped her hands behind her back, "Actually I received a letter today from the guards. It must be from them." 

"We must read it immediately!" Y/N picked up her pace.

The women came to the front of the castle and slowly ascended the steps. The breeze was starting to pick up and an uncomfortable cold seeped into the tip of her nose. 

"Would you like to join me for tea?" Mariam asked after they got into the castle and the healer shrugged off her oversized coat. 

Y/N smiled, "I don't see why not." 

Mariam nodded, "Meet me in the library. I will go fetch that letter and the tea."

"Okay," the sound of heels clicking against the marble floor echoed in the foyer. Y/N placed her burly coat on the coat rack and began making her way up to the library. 

She couldn't believe that she would be hearing from Hector for the first time in months. She nearly tripped up the stairs with how quickly she was trying to get to the library. 

What will he say? 

Was he safe?

Endless questions tumbled around in her mind. 

They had been apart for so long. Would she even recognize him?

Had he turned cold and ruthless in her absence? 

She gently pushed open the doors to the library before taking a seat. 

"What if he was different?"

"Y/N?" 

The transmuter turned her attention to the woman in front of her, "I'm sorry. What did you say?" 

Mariam placed down the tray, "I asked how much sugar you wanted." 

"Two cubes please," she sighed before running her hands over her face, "I've simply been thinking of him. I don't think I've ever been so worried about someone."