Chapter Eighteen

The sun shined in through the stained glass window into one of the many rooms of the castle

The sun shined in through the stained glass window into one of the many rooms of the castle. The duo sat on a gothic-style black couch that overlooked the library.

The previous night's events were starting to weigh on her and breakfast had been unbearable. The healer kept trading glances with the hunter every time she noticed him staring at her.

"Y/N?" 

"Huh?" she blinked a few times to regain focus. 

Alucard was staring back at her with a frown.

"You were spacing out. I asked you about your search for Hector," his eyes flitted over her face, "Are you okay?"

She groaned and threw her face to her hands, "Nooo," she grumbled.

"What's wrong?" He scooted closer to her.

"Something happened last night," she began with a frown, "Taka had..." 

"What happened?" His brows furrowed as he leaned closer to her.

"He kissed me."

The duo stared at each other in silence. 

"What?" 

"You heard what I said," she harshly whispered, "I don't know what to do."

Y/N watched as her companion's eyes glazed over and he essentially stared off into space. 

She could understand his shock, she barely knew how to react when it happened to her. 

The healer didn't know what to expect when she told Alucard what happened but she was imagining a greater reaction than the one he was providing her with. 

"I... I see," suddenly the dhampir stood up and left the room without another word. 

Y/N blankly stared at the door Alucard walked out of. 

"Wow."

🧭

The forgemaster read by candlelight as the wind howled. Luckily, he wasn't as cold as he normally was. A fresh pair of clothes had been provided for him in the recent days along with books about vampire history. Even a desk and chair were supplied for him. 

He never would have thought that vampires were such complicated creatures, tortured by their eternal life with no way to share their knowledge because of superstitious humans. The books were poetic in a way without completely meaning to be.

"Hello, Hector."

He paused his reading when Lenore enter his peripheral. He had grown used to her presence and often found himself seeking out her presence unintentionally.

Looking to find her when the time she normally appeared came around and growing disappointed on days she didn't visit him.

He scowled anytime he would realize how dependent he had become on her company. He was a captive and no amount of bribery should change that.