Chapter Ten

The young woman had spent her time going through dozens of books about runes

The young woman had spent her time going through dozens of books about runes. She couldn't seem to find one that would help Alucard transform the mirror into one that can transport items. 

She groaned before putting yet another book back onto its shelf, she hoped that Alucard was having more luck. 

"Found anything?" 

She turned her head to look at Trevor, "Nothing."

"It's a big place," he sighed and looked at the bookshelves, "I don't blame you for not finding anything." 

She gave him a teasing smile, "How is Sypha? I saw you both talking."

"She's fine," he looked over at Sypha with a fond smile, "She found a new nickname for me." 

"Really?" her eyes widened a fraction in playful disbelief. 

It was cute to see domesticity in times like these. With so much death and destruction around it wouldn't take much to forget how to feel. 

BANG!

Y/N looks up at the ceiling, "What was that?" 

He followed her gaze and furrowed his brows, "I don't know."

She grabbed Trevor's forearm, "Let's go use the mirror to check," she pulled him behind her as she made her way over to Alucard. 

"You heard it, too?" Alucard asked them when they entered his line on sight. 

"Yeah-"

Another loud bang echoed in the library, this time shaking the place. 

"Can you use the mirror to see what's going on out there?" He asked Alucard before stepping over to him and looking over at the mirror. 

Sypha came over to them, "What was that sound?"

Y/N looked from Sypha to Alucard, "We're trying to find that out. Any luck?" 

"Working on it," the dhampir muttered as he focused on reciting incantations. 

Ripples formed in the mirror before the image stilled to show night creatures banging on the stone entrance. 

"Oh no," Y/N whispered, "How did they know we would be here?" 

"Doesn't matter," Trevor patted Alucard and Y/N on their shoulders, "We need to get a move on. Alucard, you finish up with the mirror. Sypha, keep working on the spell, and Y/N, stay here." 

"Stay here?" Y/N furrowed her brows, "What are you going to do?" 

He smirked and pulled out the Morningstar, "I'm going to deal with those fuckers," he nodded at the group with a dangerous grin before he spun on his heel and started jogging to the entrance of the library. 

Y/N stared at his retreating form with a frown.

Alucard patted her back, "He'll be fine. Killing monsters is his job," he handed her a tome, "I think the last rune is in this book. Can you look for me?"