Chapter Twenty-Five

Sunlight filtered into the kitchen from the open windows and the smell of food wafted through the entire kitchen

The healer hummed to herself as she washed off an apple, smiling when Alucard passed her a cutting board and knife. 

It had been a week since she had been pulled from her journey and back into the comfortable confines of the castle. Alucard hadn't strayed far from her in the passing days and often refused to do anything without her. 

If she was going fishing, he would go. If she wanted to go to the Belmont Hold, he would go. If she wanted to head to the orchards, he would go.

It had gotten to the point where he would wait outside the bathroom when she went to do her business. 

She wanted to bring up his behavior but she wasn't quite sure how. 

Sumi and Taka remained human scarecrows and the wound of their betrayal was still fresh. She doubted that Alucard would agree to a little separation. 

She placed the apples onto a towel and gripped the sides of the water bowl. 

A peek into the bowl granted her with her reflection staring back at her. 

Her thoughts drifted back to the mirror and how she was suddenly pulled into the castle. She hadn't gotten a chance to ask him about the mirror amidst all the chaos. 

A frown came onto her face.

Why hadn't I asked him?

Why hadn't he told me about his magic mirror?

He could have saved her an entire trip into the vast unknown. 

Alucard settled beside her with another cutting board and knife, "Do you need some help?" 

"I don't mind," she placed the dried-off apples in between them before she began cutting. 

The silence between them was comfortable as it normally was, but she couldn't quell her inner turmoil. She desperately wanted to know why he had kept such a thing from her. 

"When were you going to tell me about the mirror?" 

The question on her mind was out in the open before she even realized she had spoken her thoughts.  

He side-eyed her, "What do you mean?" 

"You pulled me here using a mirror, Alucard," she crossed her arms, "You kept it a secret from me. I could have used it to find Hector months ago." 

The dhampir shrugged, "It never crossed my mind and you never asked."

The healer rolled her eyes, "Well, I'm asking now. Where is the mirror?"

"I don't believe that's wise," he sliced through another apple, "We don't know what's on the other side." 

"I know what's on the other side," she clenched her jaw, "Hector."