Chapter Twenty-Nine

The moon shone into the deep red room

Candles scattered around the room provided light for the spots that the moon did not cover. A desk lay in the center of the room in front of large windows that stretched from the ceiling to the floor.  

A woman sat in front of the desk writing on a piece of parchment with a glass of wine perched near her. The sound of the vampire's quill sharply scraping against the paper echoed in the otherwise quiet room. 

The sound of a door creaking open joined the noise of the quill. 

"Carmilla?" 

The woman looked up to see one of her sisters, "Lenore," she said before looking back to her work. 

"How are you?" Lenore asked as she sat down on the loveseat a few feet from the desk. 

"Well, and you?" Carmilla remarked. 

"Fine." 

Carmilla continued to write on the piece of parchment. 

Lenore raised her feet from the ground and perched them on the edge of the seat. Her arms wrapped around her shins and she placed her chin on the tops of her knees.

"How is that pet of yours?" Carmilla looked up from writing, "Is he creating my army yet?" 

The young woman fiddled with the material of her dress, "Not yet. He is still attempting to construct his hammer." 

The older vampire scoffed, "I do not understand why he must be so troublesome. He is stalling."

"I doubt that," Lenore tugged on a loose thread, "What are you working on?" 

"A letter," she turned her attention back to the paper in front of her. Our dear guest is getting suspicious and I do not want that." 

Lenore tilted her head, "Why are you so fascinated with that woman?" 

Carmilla's eyes cut to Lenore as she paused her writing, "I haven't the slight clue as to what you are talking about." 

"You have been spending an awful amount of time with her and you haven't shown the rest of us any of your ideas lately." 

Amusement filled the white-haired woman's eyes, "Do you doubt my ability to think and create?" 

"Of course not," the brunette frowned, "You simply seem... preoccupied as of late." 

Carmilla placed down her quill and placed the piece of parchment to the side before pulling open a drawer and retrieving a map, "Come closer," she opened the map across the desk and presented it to her sister. 

"What is this?" Lenore walked behind the desk to get a better view, "The marked land covers way more than Austria."

"From here all to Braila," her red painted lips curved into a proud smile, "This is simply the beginning of course."