Chapter Seventeen

Light humming filled the otherwise quiet kitchen

The healer nimbly chopped vegetables in preparation for lunch. 

Alucard had decided to take Sumi and Taka outside for some sparing while she made lunch. The domesticity of simply chopping vegetables and cooking reminded her of simpler times. Times that even stretched back before she met Hector. 

She poured a bucket of water into the large iron pot that sat over a fire. She and Alucard often shared the responsibility of cooking. Alucard tended to enjoy roasting all types of meat over a spit and she dabbled in baking. 

A small flame erupted from the tip of her index finger, she used it to light the wood in the fireplace. 

Y/N blew out the flame on her finger before walking to one of the rare windows of the castle. She peeked out and saw Alucard teleporting and dodging strikes from the two vampire hunters. 

She turned away from the window and continued to cook. Chopped vegetables slid off the cutting board into the pot along with some seasonings. 

The healer made her way back to the window. 

The sparring had turned into play fighting and she watched as they all fell to the ground in a fit of giggles. 

She sighed with a small smile. Ir was nice to see Alucard return to his normal self. She hadn't seen him smile like that since Sypha and Trevor left. It was refreshing having new people in the house or rather large gothic-style mansion.

She resumed cooking until the smell of stew wafted through the entire house. The sound of footsteps beckoned her attention to the kitchen entrance. Alucard walked in with Sumi on his back.

"You four look like you were having fun," she remarked with a smile and snuffed out the flames under the large pot.

"Something like that," Alucard chuckled.

"Wow, smells amazing in here," Taka commented when he walk into the room, "Haven't had a home cook meal in a while."

"Well, you're in for a treat," the dhampir placed the hunter down. He walked over to the steaming pot and used the ladle to take a sip of the savory concoction. "Y/N is one amazing cook."

She laughed and brought out bowls from the cabinets.

Before long the table the filled with hungry people and full bowls. The group talked about their highs and lows of the day and even made arrangements for the next day.

In between chatter, Y/N and Alucard would trade glances, eager to embrace the joyful change.

🧭

A candelabra light the various books in front of the young woman.

She tossed and turned in her bed and stared at the ceiling for what felt like hours.

Against her better judgment, she decided to leave her bed and continue her search for Carmilla. So many books were dedicated to vampire history and yet she struggled to even catch a glimpse of the woman.

She groaned as she reached the end of yet another book with no mention of Carmilla. 

"You okay?"

She whipped her head around in surprise.

A furrow decorated her brows.

"Taka?" she pushed the book away and focused her attention on him, "Why are you up?"

She flickered her eyes to the clock hanging on her wall.

3:45 am

He sheepishly scratched the back of his neck, "I couldn't sleep," his voice lowered to a whisper, "...nightmares."

Y/N nodded, "I get it. Do you want to come in?"

"If you don't mind," he slowly made his way into the room and sat across from her, on her bed.

The healer turned her body to face him, "Do you want to talk about it?"

That single question opened a dam of answers. Words and anecdotes floated out of the hunter like hot air escaping a teapot.

He told her about Cho and how soul-crushing it was to use under her reign.

How blood painted the walls and screams freely floated through the air.

How his friends and neighbors were herded like cattle before being slaughtered like animals.

How the Cho forced them to watch.

Every single detail he shared with her only added to the weight surrounding her heart.

She stared into his eyes with conviction, "I promise you, that vile woman is dead. She died scared and helpless, she can't ever hurt someone again."

She hoped her words brought him solace, it wouldn't per se the traumatic memories but maybe ir would give him peace. Peace knowing no one would have to go through what he and Sumi went through.

"I wished I killed her myself."

"I'm sorry you didn't have the chance to."

The two stared into each other eyes, basically exploring the depths of each person's soul. Y/N could see hate in his eyes and while she knew that it wasn't directed at her, she couldn't help but be uneasy.

Before she could warn him about the feeling of hate, the hunter suddenly drew closer.

The feather-like feeling ghosted her lips.

The woman hastily pulled away from the hunter, "I..." 

His eyes widened and he tried to reach out for her, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to"

"I must be going to bed now," she stood up and quickly escorted him out of her room, "Good night."

Without many rebuttals, he somberly left.

The scene kept playing in her mind on repeat as she lay in the four-poster bed staring at the canopy. 

Had he really tried to kiss her?