Epilogue

She sat on the deep crimson couch as she raked the brush through the dhampir's hair

"We have to go out to the fields today and create the orchard for the townsfolk," she mentioned casually as the brush made another pass through his golden strands. 

She could sense his frown. "Are you sure you want to be exerting yourself?" he asked her. 

"I will be fine," she placed the brush down before gathering his hair into a ponytail and tying it off with a bow, "I can not stay cooped up in this castle forever." 

"You are growing weaker," he said before turning around to look at her. 

She rolled her eyes and placed the brush on the bedside table, "I am fine." 

"You are barely sustaining your hunger," he spoke harshly, "I have never met a vampire that does not survive on human blood." 

"You do not survive on human blood," she countered as she stood up from her seat. 

"I was born this way," he followed after and placed a hand on her arm, "I do not believe that you can survive like this much longer."

"Animal blood will have to do," she closed her eyes with a frown, "I have no wish to uproot my life once more to go on some old goose chase. Carmilla is as good as gone. I would never be able to find her."

"I am—"

Thump!

The two looked up before bringing their gaze back to each other. 

She frowned and ran her hands over her face, "We need to talk to her." 

"His death took a toll on all of us," he sat down on the end of the bed, "We're all taking this differently." 

"I understand that but she has been locked away in her room for weeks on end,"  she pointed out. 

He sighed before slowly nodding, "We can knock on her door later."

Alucard patted the seat next to him and she begrudgingly sat down. He threw his arm over her shoulder and pulled her into his embrace. 

She placed her head on his shoulder and stared blankly in front of her. 

"We have had a hard couple of months," he whispered to her. 

The young woman closed her eyes, "How I long for the time when things were simpler." 

She could feel his eyes burning into the side of her head, "When you lived with Hector?" 

"When I lived with you, silly!" she snaked her arm around his waist, "When we had the entire castle to ourselves. I no longer think of Hector."

"You don't?" 

The young woman cast herself further into the dhampir's embrace, "He threw me aside for a woman he met merely months ago. He was her prisoner! I fought so hard to save him and he did not even care."