Chapter Twenty-One

The sun was low in the sky, making its slow trek to the horizon

After days on the road without many stops, the transmutator grew weary. She decided to stop at whatever town she arrived in regardless of its condition. 

She craved a proper bed after sleeping on thin piles of sheets for nearly three days.

Y/N smiled when the road started smoothing out and became less beaten, "Thank goodness." 

A large priory was the first thing she saw when she pulled up to the small town. She parked her wagon inside the side streets of the village. 

The healer quickly fed her horses carrots and apples, desperate to find a good bed, before leaving them to look around the town. 

Stalls parallel to each other lined the streets with yelling vendors each trying to sell their products. 

"Fresh fruits! Apples! Pears! Peaches!"

"Monster repellent! Repel the creatures of the night!" 

"Fresh bread! Get your fresh bread here!"

The healer made her way past the vendors in search of an inn. 

I will eat something later

"Hello, ma'am can I help you?"

She turned around to come face to face with a bald man wearing black robes. 

Y/N smiled at the man, "Yes, I am passing through and in need of a place to stay for the night. Does this place have an inn?" 

He nodded, "Of course, I'll show you the way," he began walking down the road, "This is the modest town of Lindenfield. I am the Judge of this town and I keep everything in order."  

"Sounds like a noble task," she remarked while adjusting the grip on her bag. 

He clasped his hands in front of him, "How long will you be staying?" 

"A night, maybe two at the most," the two paused their walking when two kids abruptly ran past them. 

"Stop running, boys!" the Judge yelled to the children before turning to look back at her, "My apologies, rambunctious children tend to be adverse to the idea of politeness."

"No worries. Children will be children."  

"...Yes, without order." 

🧭

The woman lay in bed tossing and turning before slowly opening her eyes. Something was tugging the back of her mind, filling her with urgency.

She hastily placed on her clothes and grabbed her bag before leaving the room.