44.

Kabir cleared his throat awkwardly and looked at Preeta. He was pretty sure that he had noticed a tear sliding off her cheek. But now, she had calmed herself and no one could know that she cried except for her face that had fell because of that Malhotra's son. He sighed and tried to walk slowly with her.

"Did he say something wrong? You can tell me or of course, Karan. He was being a jerk, there." He said while observing her face eventually.

Preeta exhaled and shook her head. Not looking up at him, she softly answered,"Its alright, Kabir. Karan will unnecessarily get concerned. Also, it's not that of an issue. I don't care whatever Prithvi spoke." Kabir nodded and squeezed her shoulder cheerfully.

"If you say, bhabhi. Now, come on. Let's steal your husband or he might dig himself a grave tonight for leaving you again." He said teasingly. Preeta smiled and quietly nodded at his words.

_________

"Preeta, Come on. Say something." Karan pleaded while driving ahead. But Preeta again ignored him. He sighed and glanced at her.

"She took me there. Even I was bored there. I missed you. Laura is married by the way. Try to understand, love. They were my schoolmates. I kind of had to be with them..."

"You shouldn't even have brought me then..." Preeta muttered while glaring outside through the window. Karan clenched his jaws in anger and left the argument there. He glanced for last at her and kept on driving.

Soft, cold hair blew Preeta's hair making her close her eyes but all that flash in her mind Prithvi's wicked grin. She opened her eyes and tiredly looked outside. She was already not happy with the circumstances that forced Karan to attend others than enjoying with her by his side. She knew he was helpless and was quiet to avoid saying stupid things.

But Prithvi's words kept circling in her mind. He had called her a golddigger. Didn't he know that Preeta had never agreed for the marriage? God knew that money was nowhere in her mind. Even till now, she was coping up with high standard lifestyle for the sake of the fact that her life had been bonded with Karan's. Preeta gulped and waited for them to reach home so she could sleep and get over this not-so-promising night.

The car halted and Karan got out of it actively. He was sober after having two useless shots of beer. Running fingers through his hair, he walked around and reached Preeta's door. Opening it, he offered her a hand.

Preeta looked at the hand and thought of ignoring him. But one dominating look from Karan and she had to take that hand tiredly. He tugged on her hand and smoothly helped her in getting outside. Just as Preeta stood up on her feet, her feet shook in pain and she trembled before she could walk.

Karan took no time to hold her. "Hey, careful." Preeta blinked while her eyes lowered as she nodded briefly.

Watching her tired face, Karan sighed and with a jerk, he wrapped an arm beneath her knees and lifted her in his arms making her squeak. Naturally, Preeta's hands wrapped around his neck as she stared at him in shock.

"I can walk." Karan rolled his eyes.

"I just saw that clearly." Preeta bit her lip thinking how her feet were sore because of these high heels she had wore. She looked at her husband's face.

"I am still mad at you." She murmured while Karan started walking inside the house but not before telling the watchman to park his car aside. Just as Preeta's gaze shifted to the space where other car should have been parked but it wasn't there. She noticed that Karan hadn't even looked there. She sighed in relief remembering_

'Bhabhi, I am going to do night stay at my friend's home. There's a project we have to submit. Tau ji and tayi ji won't say anything but you need to hide it from Karan Bhai. He'll kill me. He's damn strict.'