Prologue

Wiping the sweat off her forehead, Preeta smiled at Arjun. There was no sunlight falling on the silent street due to tall and shady trees but that wasn't helping them much.

"Arjun, will you help me in doing Maths homework? I didn't understand today's topic," she said in her angelic voice.

No one could deny doing such little favors for the people they care for. Just like always, without any doubt, Arjun shrugged his shoulders and nodded casually.

"I will teach you. Don't worry."

Arjun grinned at her broad smile and shook his head. She would always get so happy at such little things. His little helps would mean so much to her that he felt like a great human being.

But truly, seeing her smile had always satisfied him that he was a good best friend to her.

Suddenly, the peaceful afternoon-walk to their home was disturbed when a gang of bikers entered the silent street. The sound of raging tires filled their surroundings as the six bikers started approaching them.

Arjun's eyes widened just as he saw them parking their bikes five steps away and removing their helmets. His face turned terror-stricken when he recognized the leader who was getting off his bike threateningly.

The Karan Luthra.

Before Preeta could even think about what was happening, the angry spoiled-brat grabbed the collar of Arjun's school shirt.

"Your father must not be having any idea, with whom he has been showing carelessness to."

Sweat beads started glistening Arjun's forehead as he heard the danger in that cold and calm tone. He gulped and nodded at the boy who was in his twenties but was the guy, not-to-mess with.

"My-My father is trying hi-his best, Sir. He-He will soon return the money," he choked out while feeling his heart thumping loudly in his chest.

But were those words enough to chill down the fury raging in Karan's eyes?

"When is he going to pay the money? When! We have given you enough time to collect that amount by doing all that bloody hard work you people do," yelled Karan while clutching the collar more tightly. He glared at the teenager boy in front of him and gritted his teeth to continue, "Tell your useless father. Return the money in two days or he will lose his job."

Hearing the deadly threat, Arjun was already mortified. But then, Karan shook his head at him.

". . . and don't think, I will leave you alone if he won't return the money. Pay or be ready to get tormented."

Arjun swallowed the bile rising in his throat. He was having an internal fight in his mind imagining all the things, his soon-to-be tormentor promised.

"Am I Clear?"

Arjun's legs shook in fear. He wasn't able to speak, so nodded shakily.

"Speak with your fucking mouth! Am I clear?" yelled Karan on his face, shaking him to the core.

A loud scream echoed in the street since Arjun wasn't the only one to get affected. Karan's loud voice had terrified another soul.

No one had realized till then, that the innocent girl standing behind her weak best friend was watching the whole scenario. She was horrified by this much yelling and threatening. Coming from a family full of polite-spoken people, this whole scene was foreign and frightening at the same time.

The scream swapped Karan's attention to the girl's scared-- yet beautiful face and that was the time when the scenario changed.

The boy's heart stopped beating.