2.

Chapter 2| Kiss of forced love

Blackmail is more effective than bribery.

-John le Carre

With teary eyes, Preeta walked quietly in the street and looked for him. She had reached on time and as important it was for the lover boy, Karan too was standing there leaning on his car. She came near him and stood in front while lowering her eyes. She slowly looked up at his face and swallowed.

Karan's smile was wide at her presence but it faded immediately when he saw her swollen and bloodshot eyes.

Sudden guilt crawled on his heart and he felt like the most stupid person. He had planned to impress her. He had planned to have this first talk as smooth and welcoming.

But he really showed her, how he had earned that bad reputation.

He planned to apologize for his reckless behavior, later. But for then, he just wanted to spend time to take things ahead.

"I knew you would come," he awkwardly said and immediately regretted saying that. He cursed himself. Of course, she had to come if he would blackmail her.

When he observed that she wasn't​ really comfortable in even looking at him, he awkwardly opened the car door.

Feeling her heart sinking, Preeta got in the car and started staring at her lap quietly.

Karan too got in the car and found her fidgeting with her fingers. He saw her gulping repeatedly and observed her face again.

He felt as if he could spend endless hours in staring at her beautiful face.

"I am taking you to a place. We will talk and then, I will simply drop you at your home," he promised politely and drove out of the street.

They reached a not-so-famous café but Preeta acknowledged it as an expensive one since its interiors were posh and other couples too looked high-class. She felt conscious and desperate to leave the place.

Moreover, bunking classes for first time and that even to spend time with someone like him, was killing her from inside.

The café wasn't far from her home. She kept on thinking of different ways of deleting that photo while Karan kept stealing glances at her.

He tried to start the conversation but her disinterest would melt all his confidence. He sighed when the waiter approached them and ordered the coffees for both of them.

He turned back to look at her and let out a breath. "Look, I am sorry for everything. I know I have behaved like an idiot all this time and worse that day. I apologize. I just want to be your friend," he honestly explained.

Preeta didn't reply and kept on staring at her lap as if it was the most fascinating place. But he knew that she was listening to his words. So, he leaned slightly on the table.

"Maybe, more than friends."

This caught Preeta's attention and she immediately looked up at him.

Karan smiled slyly. "Since that day, I can't stop thinking​ about you. I know, I turned out to be the arrogant, spoilt-brat​. But I am not that mean. I think I like you, Preeta."

A shiver passed through her spine as Preeta heard his each word carefully. He continued, "I don't know what is happening with me. I have been lost these two weeks. Everywhere, every time, I have started seeing you. In my dreams, in my visions. I think I am falling for you."

Preeta felt her head getting heavy. How could she be so unlucky? Of all girls in this town, he fell for her.

"I feel ashamed of what I did that day. I want to make it up for you. I want to change all that impression. I want to be good for you and I will be. You don't have to be scared. I feel that we could be great together."