𝒊𝒊𝒊. 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺

-ˏˋ𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐎𝐧𝐞𝐬ˊˎ𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺

-ˏˋ𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐎𝐧𝐞𝐬ˊˎ
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

THEY WAITED OUTSIDE THE gates while a guard mounted a horse and galloped down the long, dusty road to the fortress itself. A second curtain wall lay around the bulky building. With her elf sight, she could see as those gates opened, then another pair. It was weird to see her home lands through different sight.

"How did you even meet him," Feyre murmured to Elain as they lingered beneath the shade of the looming oaks outside the gate, "if he's locked up in here?"

Elain stared and stared at the distant fortress. "At a ball—his father's ball." "I've been to funerals that were merrier," Nesta muttered, remembering the gloomy festivity that they had been invited to. That evening Ana had gotten very drunk with Cian in the stables, hiding away from the elite society.

"I had been forced here more often than you, Nesta. I get to complain," Ana muttered, annoyed that they had to wait, and bitter about the memory that surfaced. Always Cian, no matter where she went. He was always there in the back of her mind, lurking around.

Elain cut her and Nesta a look. "This house has needed a woman's touch for years."

Neither of them said that it didn't seem likely she would be the one.

The Shadowsinger kept a few steps away, little more than the shade of one of the oaks behind them. But Mor and Rhys. . . they monitored everything, alongside Alasdair, who had Salila—still as a kitten—sat by his feet. The guards whose fear. . . the salty, sweaty tang of it grated on every nerve.

But they held firm. Held those ash-tipped arrows at them.

Long minutes passed. Then finally a yellow flag was raised at the distant fortress gates. They braced themselves. But one of the guards before them grunted, "He'll come out to see you."