44| Sending A Message

Was writing all night to get this done. Probably my longest AGK chapter yet.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

---

It was late at night.

Hours had passed since Akira and the others had defeated the remnants of Wild Hunt. Once they had arrived back at their base, Akira had said that he was going for a nighttime walk.

Considering how his behavior is, Akame objected to it. But he reassured her that everything would be fine. She didn't like to doubt him, but something told her that something about his walk wasn't going to be alright. She got up from her bed and grabbed her black trench coat. She didn't bother to change out of her pink nightdress, so she grabbed Murasame on the way down as she exited the base.

She walked through the night, traversing through the dense forest as she the moonlight were cutting through the holes between the leaves. However, it didn't take long before she heard screams.

The sound of multiple men.

Akame quickly took off, heading in the direction of it. It only took her a few seconds to arrive at a clearing, her eyes widening at the sight. Akira was currently fending against himself against a search party of Imperial soldiers. However, he mercilessly cut them down, showing no remorse for them as they were no match for him. Using his scythe, he cut down another, lopping his head off as it was flung into the air, landing on the ground with a splat.

He then dodged a slash from an Imperial soldier with a sword, the reaper using his scythe to cut the heels of the man. The soldier yelped in pain, falling backward as he fell onto the ground. Akame knew what he was about to do. He was preparing to steal his soul.

Just as he inched the man closer to him, Akira began to open his mouth and extract the poor man's soul. The Imperial soldier quivered in fear, clawing his weak hands at Akira's wrist, begging and pleading to let him go. But Akira continued to look at the man with an emotionless and stoic look. The green aura began to exit the man's mouth before it stopped, a sword having been thrust right through him. Akira let go of the collar of the man's armor, the Imperial soldier falling onto his back. He was dead, the marks of Murasame's curse all over his body. He then looked up a bit, his dull-looking eyes regaining some sort of emotion within them as he gazed at the red-eyed girl in front of him.

Akame: "What are you doing?"

Despite asking the question, she already knew what he was doing. She simply wished to hear the reasoning from his own mouth.

He looked back down at the dead body to the side, then to his scythe. The scythe pulsated in it's familiar green color.

Akira: "Don't get in my way. Harvester... It desires more. It desires for more souls to be sent and to be judged by Death himself."

Akame: "We don't go around and mindlessly kill those we come across."

Akira: "...Don't stand in my way. If you do, I'll end your life as well."

Hearing that response from his mouth didn't make Akame flinch. She kept a defiant stare on her face, but she then sighed. The ravenette's gaze soon softened, reaching up with her free hand that wasn't holding her Teigu. Her hand touched his cheek, Akira jumping a little before he softened up to the comfort of her touch. It was so familiar that he too could easily let his guard down around her.

It was like his vision cleared, the voice he had been hearing in his head suddenly disappearing. He received that familiar warm smile from her, Akame speaking nothing. But he understood what she meant, her silence speaking volumes.