Chapter 69

In the morning I had to run errands for Cynthia. I had to pick up her dress and heels from one place, and grab a gift bag from a different location that she's waiting on. Later today I'm gonna be with Simon for the behind the scenes snapshots he'll get of the models in prep for their big shows. I'm supposed to take some notes for Cynthia and the writers to look back on when they go to write the actual articles. After the intensity of last night's confrontation with Dom, Simon's easy going attitude was like a balm to soothe this aching feeling I can't shake.

        Later today is another fashion show, but since two shows ran into one another with timing, Cynthia split the group up. Celine and the writers were meant to go to one show, and Cynthia and myself will be at the other. When Cynthia and I were alone she whispered to me, "Our show will be better. Anna Wintour will be sitting with us," she gave me a mischievous smirk and wink before floating off as she does.

It sent a thrill through me. It's obvious she favors me and I have no idea why other than the fact that she and I just got along at her husband's party. We do work well together as a team too.

        I was in my teal kimono and thigh high heels, and I looked good. I walked these streets of New York with my head held high. When it came time for the photoshoot/ behind the scenes note taking Simon was playful and energetic. He made the models feel comfortable and at ease, and he got a lot of good, usable shots because of it. He's good at what he does. Him and I even took a picture albeit a silly one. "Later tonight when I'm all dressed up you owe me a real photo," he nudged me and smiled. I promised I would.

        Watching models run around half naked, sit around with their friends to wait for hair and makeup, and seeing the stylists pulling outfit after outfit to style the girls, it was a lot of fun and a peek into something most people don't see. The people out there waiting for the show to begin, they see the final touches and perfect outcomes. Back here is where it's all really happening.

I noticed the models would do something almost like flipping a switch inside of them. They'd be laughing or talking normally, then when they lined up to go out onto the runway there'd be this shift. It was tangible, visible. They got these fierce expressions and they strutted out there with confidence.

I want that switch inside me. How'd they get that?

-

        I was in a simple off the shoulder black gown with my hair straightened. I put an accessory earring that connected from my cartilage down to my lobe with three dainty chains hanging down. This designer was more of a clean look instead of wild couture, so I wanted my gown to blend and not stand out. Or at least that's what my boss suggested when picking our outfits for this week. Everything was preplanned and tailored to our specification.

Vogue is a brand, and we the people who work there are representatives of that brand, which means they want us to look good all week long. I've taken a million photos of each gorgeous outfit I'm able to wear. My boss wasn't joking when she told me we had seats beside Anna Wintour. Cynthia Dupont and Anna are friends because obviously Cynthia's a big name in Vogue Paris, and Anna's an even larger name here in New York, and throughout the fashion industry in general.

        I was introduced to the woman and we shook hands which didn't even feel like real life. The only living proof I have of being in her vicinity is one photo someone captured, and I wasn't even facing forward. I was talking to the person behind Mrs. Wintour. Close enough. I'll still keep that as a fond memory.

I took some notes during the show which I noticed she glanced at a few times. I hope she wasn't judging my notes. It's how I do them for Cynthia, and she likes it. Being elbow to elbow with a legend in the industry was a tad bit distracting, but I got through it.