Chapter 38

I ended up getting along so well with Sophia De Luca. She might be a little bit spoiled, but she's sweet and funny and a really good time. We both love clothes and bags and shoes and all those good things, so we talked a lot about it, which I missed being able to do. In school we would gush about things because we all shared a common interest. Here I have been surrounded by men who could care less. It was a fun change of pace for me. Our shopping fun was a few days ago, and we already have plans set up for this weekend after work. She was surprised that I worked for some reason. I guess because she's never had to. She's always been rich. 

        It was 8pm on a Wednesday and I'd just gotten out of work, so Riccardo was driving me home. Poor guy. I try to chat with him and be friendly, so he doesn't feel like he works for me as a driver, and more like a buddy. He didn't use to engage much, but I guess he's come around because he'll actually talk more, asking me some personal questions about my life. Just random small talk about who I've been hanging out with now that I'm settled into New York. I was proud to say I finally had friends. Tatum, Poppy, Cam, and now Sophia. I got along with Phoenix and Alden too, but we didn't go out much beyond hanging around the shop.

Riccardo asked about my friends back in LA, and he just figured I had a boyfriend there for whatever reason. I told him I didn't and he dropped it from there. I asked if he had a girlfriend. He has to be at least 30. When my phone started ringing I moved back from where I was leaning towards the front seat to chat with Riccardo. I saw it was Sophia. "Hey" I answered cheerfully. "I'm sorry, I had to call and gush," she told me. 

She started telling me all about this guy that she's been sort of hooking up with, but not actually dating. She gave me the whole drama series which I wasn't complaining about. It felt good to have a friend like this. It took the rest of the car ride home, me getting into the apartment, and changing before she was through with her gushing. About her seeing the guy on a date with another girl when she went to this trendy restaurant with friends. 

I asked if she was upset and talked through it with her.

        I'd noticed Elio and Dom when I walked in, but I didn't stay to say hello since I'd been on the phone. Once we finally hung up, I walked out, and by the way the two men were lingering, it sort of felt like they'd been waiting for me. "What?" I said right away. My stomach dropped like something might have happened. Elio looked at Dom then me again. Shit...did he find something out?! My heart rate picked up. "Tell her," Elio waved at Dom. "Oh, I thought you'd want to," he realized Elio was waiting for him. My brother decided to step forward and tell me whatever the hell they wanna tell me. 

"You have an internship with the stylist woman you met at the party," he blurted the news. My jaw dropped and my heart raced for a whole new reason. "WHAT?!" I was stunned, but so excited. Elio grinned at my reaction and I was suddenly barreling towards him, jumping around giving him a hug in excitement. "I didn't do anything. Dom did," he chuckled. 

Without even thinking about it I threw myself into his arms instead. He caught me easily, but he didn't hug me the way he probably would've if Elio wasn't here. I didn't care.

I pulled away from him after I squeezed him and thanked him a million times. "She really said I can intern for her?" I held Dom at arms length and looked up at his handsome face that was stone serious, not giving anything away. "I showed her your portfolio like I told you I would. She really liked you," he told me. I clasped my hands under my chin and grinned from ear to ear. 

        "Oh my gosh, I wasn't expecting to get my foot in the door so soon. Oh god, tell me everything," I waved for him to start talking. He didn't know much yet. He said she reached out to him and agreed to intern me. She works as an independent stylist, so she isn't tied down to just one place. It means I can basically network and meet more people. That's how I'll get my foot into the right doors. She styles for magazines and for rich people. Who knows who else. This is big. Really big for me.