Chapter 27

The place was called Gallow Green and it was a rooftop bar with greenery-lined walkways. There's a view and hanging from it's makeshift ceiling were branches and flowered walls. There are wooden patio style tables, and group seating cushioned around trendy bonfires. The twinkling lights looked lovely against the dimming sky. It was so visually pleasing here. It only added to my photo collection today. I'll have so much to post on my fashion page. 

The cocktails were cool, and there was a great variety to choose from. Once we ordered it gave me time to bug him about whatever secret set up he planned for tonight. "Tell me," I kept saying. He remained stone-faced. You can't break him. "Why not?" I whined. 

        "I didn't take you as one who wouldn't like surprises," he shamed me for my actions. My face went flat and I said, "Fine." I grabbed my drink and took a sip before leaning forward on the small table between us. "Then answer my other question. What are you and my brother hiding from me?" I came full circle. He looked away from me and fisted his glass. If he becomes this irked it means he does have something to hide.

"I can handle whatever it is. I told you guys all my secrets. You know everything now" I pointed out. "Enjoy your evening, Mia" he shut me down. I stopped to study him then shook my head. The next question I had just blurted out of my mouth before I could think better of it. "Is this some kind of date?" His eyes snapped over to mine and held me in place. "It isn't" he denied me.

         I glanced at my lap to hide my pink tinted cheeks. I heard the scratchy sound of Dom running his hand down his dark stubble. When he started fixing his suit coat I know it's because he feels slightly out of control and is trying to regain it. "You're my best friend's little sister. You'll be incorporated into my life, since Elio and I are often together. I can treat his little sister to some tourist attractions in the new city, can't I?" He laid it all down for me. I nodded. "I guess I'm just surprised since you've told me multiple times to stay away from you."

"In a different sense" he shut down that logic. "Does my brother know about this?" He paused. "He doesn't." I pursed out my lip and nodded. "And is it a secret?" He seemed to consider it. "Nope," he clenched his jaw. He doesn't want Elio to know and he's full of shit right now. 

"So, if I wanted to mention it to him," I challenged him as he often challenges me. Dom took a swig of his drink and studied the crowd. He isn't going to answer me. 

        "He left you under my care." I don't know why he mentioned that. Does he mean that it justifies taking me out today? "I've taken care of myself for a long time, you know. I don't need to be entrusted to anyone. My brother seems to forget that and worries about my safety far too often. Almost like he knows I'm in danger of something," I made the observation that crossed my mind since day one. Back when I was told we were living in the Hudson Yards because it was secure. "It's natural for an older brother to want to protect his sister," he shrugged. 

With two fingers he lifted his hand and nodded to his empty glass. The woman scurried off to grab us refills. I've seen her glancing his way all night. Actually, most people look at him when he enters a room. He has that type of presence that is impossible to ignore. He's also the most handsome man I know, so women just can't help themselves from gawking at him. I can relate. 

-

        We ended up at this beautiful rooftop bar for two hours, but it still only brought us to just after 8pm. His set up wasn't until 10. "I suppose I'll take you home. We can reconvene around 9:30 to head over to the place" he told me. I didn't want to part from him though. "The night is warm enough. Let's go for a walk" I offered. "A walk?" He seemed to consider it. I nodded up at him to see if I could sway him to stay. He guided me from the small of my back out of this place, and agreed he'd take a walk with me.