Chapter 8

Domani De Luca was in a charcoal gray suit with a black button down that was partially unbuttoned at the top, revealing some tan smooth flesh there. I didn't see any tattooed skin from the small opening, so I wonder if his chest is bare. I know his arms aren't. With his sleeves rolled up yesterday, I saw his black ink down the length of it. Dom didn't at all look like he was bothered by my presence. He didn't seem embarrassed about yesterday's events. He actually looked entirely disinterested. 

I couldn't say the same about myself. I kept trying to avoid looking at him, but his body standing right there beside me was a distraction. Why's he still here? Alessandro was talking for a minute, but once he quieted down Dom was still here. 

        "Is Elio coming?" Alessandro decided to ask his cousin. I felt Dom's eyes shift down to me, and I stupidly blushed, even though I wasn't even looking at him. "I assume so" was all that deep voice said. He's always a man of few words. I heard Dom snap his fingers, waving at his cousin to stand up. I only lifted my eyes enough to see that sexy inked hand. 

When Alessandro stood, Dom replaced him in the chair. My gut clenched and my body froze. Why is he here? What is he doing? His gaze on me burned my flesh, but still I couldn't face him. Images of Dom fisting his erection yesterday flooded my mind, and my cheeks were pink again. I don't know what look Dom gave his cousin to make the man walk away, but he did, and I cursed him internally for leaving me here in this very awkward situation. 

        "Are you going to ignore that I'm here?" Dom's voice truly was like honey drizzled over gravel. My goodness, how it could stir things inside me. I gulped and forced myself to peek up at him again. This was torture. I just nodded yes without verbally saying so. Dom leaned back in the booth and draped his arm over the back of it. He looked like a boss. He looked confident and sure of himself. Everything I'm not. 

When his second hand came up to his mouth, his thumb dragged across his bottom lip. Hot. He appeared to be in thought. My insides clenched for a whole new reason. "And why is that?" He challenged me. Is he trying to embarrass me on purpose?

        I thanked heaven and earth when I felt someone approach and realized it was my brother. I was saved. Thank god. "Scooch" my brother waved me to move farther into the booth. No. Dom can't stay. I reluctantly slid further inside and looked entirely at Elio, trying to ignore his best friend. I felt Dom's stare on me though. He was annoyed that I hadn't been able to respond. His jaw was tighter than usual, so that's what I assume. 

        "How was work?" Elio asked me first thing. I gave him a small smile. "It was good. I like everyone there, and everything ran smoothly thus far." I thought about Riccardo and added, "Your poor employee doesn't have to drive me everywhere, Elio. I can get around on my own." My brother took the menu from my hand and glanced down at it. He didn't even need to because seconds later the hostess was rushing over and placing menus in front of the two men. "How's my wife?" Elio teased. "If you like Poppy why don't you ask her out?" He snorted, "I don't wanna date right now. I like keeping my options open. I just like teasing her."

I frowned. "Men" I shook my head. He chuckled, "What does that mean?" I didn't look up at him while I responded. I stayed viewing the menu. "You like someone, but you won't give her the respect of actually engaging in a relationship." 

"I like plenty of people" was his dumb response. I just shook my head again. Dom hadn't said a word since Elio showed up. He was still seated in his relaxed position, but his attention wasn't on me anymore. He was surveying the room. 

        "How was your day at work? Your secret job you love being vague about" I commented when I decided to ask my brother the same question he asked me. "It's not vague. I told you already. I help Dom run his family businesses." I rolled my eyes, but the waitress appeared, so I didn't say anything else on the matter. "Mr. De Luca, Mr. Fiore, good evening. What can I get you?" She was poised and quick to get to us. She didn't address me at all, but I could see why. Her eyes were trained on the men, and I can only assume it's because she found them both very handsome. That probably explains her nervous demeanor.