Chapter 26

I ended up having a very long conversation with both Elio and Dom about my parents and our upbringing. It was like, now that our secrets were revealed, we were able to revisit certain memories without the heaviness of our past silencing us. We told Dom so many things and even had a good laugh between siblings. Not everything was bad and we revisited some of our childhood and our bond growing up. Elio really was my protector back then. He made me realize I'd been protecting myself for longer than I gave myself credit. 

He told me he was proud of me for getting out. No one has ever said that to me before, and it made me a little bit emotional, but I pulled through it. I've cried enough. 

We talked late into the night and eventually realized the time and all parted ways for bed. Oddly, with Dom there, I felt a little closer to him for having him know so much about me. What I've hid from everyone else. I wish he'd reveal himself to me too. I doubt he ever would. 

Domani De Luca is a hard man. A quiet man. Someone who appears to be in control at all times, but also doesn't mind getting his hands dirty either. I saw him beating Kristoff. I saw his rough knuckles that were more attractive than I should admit. He was in suits all the time, but beneath that layer is something else. 

Tattoos, bloody knuckles, and a dangerous attitude.

-

        I was glad when Tatum texted me to take the day off, since the shop was mostly dead. After the emotional turmoil of yesterday I was actually feeling tired and didn't mind the rest. I texted Elio letting him know I was around the house today, just so he'd know what I was up to. Yesterday seemed to have freaked him out. He said he didn't want any surprises like that ever again. Neither do I. Having a gun anywhere near me was this terrifying feeling I can barely explain. It's like the anticipation of the gun going off is the worst part. A torturous countdown to eminate death. I shiver just thinking about it. 

I surprisingly don't feel worried about this any longer. Elio and Dom handled it and I trust them. I feel the most at peace than I have in a long time. I shouldn't since harsh metal was shoved into my gut with the threat of killing me yesterday, but weirdly I'm fine. My secrets are out. They can't be used against me anymore, and I'm not living this lie. 

        When my brother called me I quickly answered to see why. "Hey Littles, I'm gonna be going down to Philly tonight for work. I'll be back by morning, but I just wanted to give you the heads up. If you need anything Dom's gonna be around. I asked him to keep an eye on you, alright?"

"Oh, um, alright. When are you leaving?" I asked him. "Now." Well then. "Drive safe," I told him. I'd been hoping to ask him if we could do something in the city today, since I've yet to do too much here in New York...but I guess that's out of the question for today. 

        Not even five minutes later there was a knock at the front door. For some reason it brought nerves into my hands. I don't want any unwanted visitors. When I opened it I was surprised to find Dom. "Oh, hey, my brother already told me," I figured that's why he'd come. "Let's go," was all he said. "Go where?" I pinched my brows together. "You have the day off, correct?" He stepped into the apartment without my invitation. I opened the door wider to accommodate his large frame. "It is," I answered tentatively, unsure where this was going. 

"Then, let's go," he said again. "I'm not dressed," I looked down at my very casual wear. "You'll be doing some walking. Dress accordingly" was his only response. I gaped at him. "Um, could you give me a better clue. Should I dress up, dress down?" I wasn't even sure if I should go with him at all. He hasn't addressed me since the kiss. Now I'm just meant to walk out with him?