16

"Mom..."

Soojin looked up from her notebook, glancing over to the living room where Jungkook was taking a nap on the couch because she just heard him whimpering in his sleep.

"Ah, he's having nightmares again," she whispered to herself, getting down from her seat and walking over to him.

As she got closer to his side, she noticed trails of tears coming down from the corner of his eyes.

She reached her hand out to him, carefully waking him up. "Jungkook-ssi... Jungkook-"

His eyes suddenly opened, then he let out a long, heavy sigh.

"Oh god..." he huffed, slowly sitting up as he wiped his tears away. "These days, the same dream keeps coming to my sleep. Why?"

"Is it the night of the accident?" she abruptly asked. "Sorry if that sounded so direct, but I had to ask. Maybe... you did something like triggering it recently?"

He shook his head, clearly feeling a bit distressed by the bad dreams he had been having for some time now. "I'm... not sure..."

"Well, do you want to explore that memory?" Soojin suggested, and she instantly noticed his confused expression. "I mean, you know... I can conduct therapy sessions."

He lowered his head as he bit his lips. "Nah, I'm not... ready yet."

"That's fine," Soojin smiled, giving his arm a reassuring pat. "Well, why don't you take your shower first, while I make you dinner?

"Okay," Jungkook nodded and immediately whistled. Geumie suddenly rushed towards him and Soojin began to help him stand up and let the dog guide him to his room.

Soojin went back to the kitchen counter where her notebook stuff was placed and began to tidy up her things when he called out to her.

"Ah, Soojin-ssi?"

"Yes?" she replied, and he began to turn around, trying to guess her position before he stopped.

"Are you... staying here tonight?"

She was a bit speechless, but she just simply answered him. "Um... no?"

"Oh. Okay."

***

"So, you have stopped doing live-stream gaming since the accident? That's four years! Oh god..."

"I mean, what games can I play when I'm blind? There are no alternatives that I can do," Jungkook chuckled, picking up another gimbap roll and taking a bite before he spoke. "Now, tell me about you."

Soojin placed down her glass as she said, "Me? Why would I?"

"Because we need to fill the book with some more stories because apparently, the author-nim got lots of writer's blocks for my book this time as she did in the past two books. I don't want to lose readers on my book, because I am Jeon Jungkook."

Soojin rolled her eyes and sighed, "Urgh... Fine, okay."

She then cleared her throat and began, "You knew that I grew up in an orphanage."

"Yup."

She took another deep breath and by this, he knew that it was a hard story of her life.

"My parents left me at the doorstep when I was four. I can still vividly remember that day. Because it was the best day of my life with my parents, but also the last day that I would be seeing my parents," she said, staring at her fingers. "We were a poor family. Even though I was young, I know that."