Chapter 52: FALLING APART

Third person POV:
On one hand Anushka was flying back to Mumbai, and on the other hand was Virat who was completely alien about the whole situation. As soon as he came back to check on Kiara and found the room empty, he was surprised. He looked around in the hope to find Anushka somewhere but much to his dismay, she wasn't there. He didn't have the slightest clue about Anushka going back to Mumbai thus he asked the receptionist about Kiara's absence.
“That pateint has been discharged” Virat didn't believe her words and thought that it must be some misunderstanding and asked her to check it again.
“Sir, We've cross checked and We're sure that Ms Kiara Sharma has been discharged around 45 minutes back..” Virat was blank hearing this and when he asked about who signed the discharged papers.
“Her sister, Anushka Sharma. She has decided to continue the treatment in Mumbai on the consultation of her doctor” To Virat, every word felt like a needle that was attacking right at the heart.
“Are you sure?” This came out of his heart which was finding it hard to accept that Anushka went away with Kiara without informing even once. He knew all this was truth but somewhere deep down in his heart he still wished that it turns out to be a lie. After the receptionist gave the same answer again, Virat was blank. He was just standing there not knowing what to do, how to react, whom to talk and where to go? Standing numb with expressionless face for more than a minute, he finally gained composure and called Anushka which didn't connect confirming that Anushka is in the flight. Before thinking anything more, he booked a ticket to Mumbai and went back home to pack the luggage. He then went to the airport and impatiently waited to go to Mumbai. Anushka when landed in Mumbai and came out of the airport she was attacked with camera flashes left, right and centre. Kiara was already taken to hospital. In such a situation she couldn't manage to put up a smile and walked away with a straight face and that's only what needed for the gossips to start. People were already discussing the possibile reasons why she has come alone from Delhi and that too in such a bad mood. When Virat saw Anushka's photos from airport, a part of his heart ached. He knew he had hurt Anushka but he never did it on purpose but what Anushka did was intentional and that hurt Virat. Anushka met all the family members that included Virat's family too and team-mates who already reached the hospital and they all consoled her. The team wanted to ask about why Virat didn't accompany her but keeping the situation in mind, they decided to ask about it later. Virat also landed in Mumbai after some time and again all the paps started clicking him. Managing a small smile which even was not evident, he walked away ignoring thousands of ridiculous questions the paps threw at him. He reached the hospital and found Anushka along with both the families and team there. Seeing Anushka, he wanted to ask her why she did this but he knew how hurt and broken she is thus he thought to let this go. Anushka on the other hand didn't even look towards Virat and maintained the cold look on her face. Virat went and engulfed Anushka's mom and Arnav in a hug who were very stressed and disturbed. Kiara undoubtedly was the apple of their eyes and seeing her in such a situation was breaking them. He then met his family and friends who patted his back comforting him because they knew that all this must not have been easy for Virat too. None of them was alien to the awkward and unusual silence between Virat and Anushka, they sensed that something is definitely wrong between them but nobody mentioned anything keeping the place and situation in mind. Throughout the day, Virat kept trying to start a conversation with Anushka or to know about her well being but Anushka was still in the same zone. She didn't say a single word to him despite of the thousand times he tried to talk. She was behaving as if Virat's invisible. Virat understood that Anushka is mad on him but this behaviour of her was hurting him back too. Firstly not giving a slight clue to him about coming to Mumbai and now behaving so coldly, slowly he was getting hurt too. The families decided to give the two people the much needed alone time to sort things out so they all decided to go home other than Virat and Anushka.. Virat and Anushka were sitting on the hospital chairs quietly having many grudges against each other. Virat wanted to ask Anushka about the reason she didn't inform him about coming to Mumbai and Anushka on the other hand didn't even want to initiate a conversation. More than an hour passed like this then doctor came and asked Virat and Anushka to bring some medicines for Kiara. Virat was the first one to reach and take the prescription from the doctor while Anushka stood and said nothing. As soon as the doctor went away, Anushka forwarded her hand  towards Virat as if asking for something.
“What?” Virat asked reffering to her gesture.
“Give me the paper, I'll bring the medicines for Kiara” Anushka responded with expressionless face.
“Anushka, I'm also doing the same thing.” Virat replied.
“But i can do it myself. You need not to exert yourself because of me or my family” As those words left Anushka's mouth, Virat was blank. Her every word affected him. He didn't want things to turn ugly thus without replying started to move towards the pharmacy. But Anushka followed him and stopped him by his wrist.
“Leave me, Anushka and let me go” Virat said and his tone depicted emotions Anushka never had seen.
“I'm not holding you. Just give me the paper, I know how to fulfill my duties. You need not to put efforts for that” Things were getting worse and Virat knew it.
“Anushka, Let's sort this out later please.”  Virat's words were very sensible keeping the situation in mind but when things need to go the wrong way, nothing goes right.
“Why later, let's sort this out right now..” Anushka said and Virat who was calm till now held Anushka's wrist tightly.
“As you wish” he said and moved holding her hand to the family lounge of the hospital which was empty. Virat closed the door and left Anushka's hand and stood opposite to her.
“So now say it what you want to sort?” Anushka said looking here and there.
“Anushka I know you're hurt and i also know I'm the reason but I'm also apologising for it. So, please try to atleast behave a little normally.” Virat pleaded.
“Apologies can't make everything right. And you have hurt me badly so I'm sorry but I can't forget everything so easily. I can't behave normally with you. You've broken my trust” To Anushka's words, Virat had a lot to say but he chose to keep the conversation calm.
“I know you're hurt. I know you ain't in your best mind space but so am I. Atleast for once think from my point of view. I'm not saying to forgive me but atleast don't stop me from doing things for KIA. You're making me feel like a mere stranger”
“But that's how you behaved Virat. Like an absolute stranger. For the first time i depended myself on someone and that's how it resulted. Thus, I'm broken to the core.” Anushka had her reasons to say these things.
“Anushka, If you have reasons to be angry, even i do have. If you're hurt by my actions, even I'm by yours. If you're disappointed, so am I. But this is definitely not the situation to discuss all this. That's all I'm saying” Virat's words gained Anushka's curiousity.
“Really Virat, you're still justifying your mistakes. That's the least i expect. Okay then, tell me what's making you upset? What has hurt you? Because i don't think anything such as happened...” Anushka's rude words were putting a scratch on the very beautiful bond of theirs.
“Firstly, I'm not justifying myself. And secondly, talking to you at this moment is feeling like hitting my head on the wall.”
“No, please tell me what has hurt you? I need to know. Because if it's about coming to Mumbai without informing you. I think I did no wrong. Because if you can't even be with Kiara in my absence and goes missing for more than an hour from hospital when I'm not there, then i really don't think you care and you even have any right to know about any decisions regarding Kiara...” Virat decoded Anushka's words. He understood about what Anushka thought seeing him missing from hospital.
“Really Anushka? This is what you think of me? You really think I'll leave Kiara before you coming back? And if you think so, then let me tell you you still don't know ME.” Virat said sternly.
“Don't prove that I'm lying. When I came back from home, you weren't there and didn't even show up for a second during the next hour.” Virat gave a little hurt laugh in this statement.
“That's what I'm saying, you still don't know ME. I was outside the room the whole time but due to an urgent team call i had to leave but not before seeing you coming.” Anushka got Virat's words but that changed nothing. She still had a lot against him.
“Whatever Virat. Now, my point is that you don't have to do so much for my Kiara or me. I'll manage everything.” Virat's patience was on the verge of breaking hearing Anushka's words. One more hurtful thing, and he would've bursted and unfortunately Anushka said it.
“I have hurt myself enough after trusting you. Now, I don't want any help of yours.”
“Enough Anushka. Do you even realise how hurtful your statements are? Do you even have any idea that only thing you are doing is worsen the situation? Do you know that your every word is ruining our bond, ruining US?” Virat said in his roaring voice and Anushka was taken aback by his sudden reaction.
“You should have thought about us before breaking your promise of being just ‘ONE CALL AWAY’, before not even listening to what I had to say on the call and disconnecting right away...” Anushka replied back. The conversation was turning into a heated argument.
“This is the problem, Anushka. You are still looking at everything from just your vision. You don't even want to know why I did that and not even considering my apologies. I understand the circumstances in which you called were the worst and i should've picked the call, but i was also not in the most ideal setup. An extremely horrible day at shoot drained all my energy but still all i wanted was to come back to you and Kiara and not make you guys wait. But how does it matter to you? The only thing stuck in your mind is that i didn't answer the call and not even once you tried to put yourself in my shoes, did you?” Virat's outburst was genuine and this was the first time they both were engaged in a heated argument. If both of them looked deep down in their hearts, this was hurting their heart equally. Anushka waited for a second as if she was finding hard to form words.
“I know, i maybe sounding extremely arrogant while saying all these things. But, I have been through this situation in my past when dad broke all the promises, when he left us alone to deal with all the hurdles. I know your intentions and reasons must be way different but during those 2 hours all those horrible memories from childhood came back running, the same pain arouse in my heart, the same helplessness. That's why It's not easy. It's definitely not easy to let this go....”  Virat was disheartened with all the happenings since the last 2 days, running fingers through his hairs, he decided to pour his heart out.
“I understand but Nushkie, don't you know how important and dear KIA is to me. This accident has shaken me up totally too. And then you come to Mumbai without even dropping a single message, do you know how much THAT hurts? But I still thought that it's very hard for you to process all this and I should let this thing go. I tried to be normal, act helpful and support you emotionally throughout the day, but your cold behaviour broke me today. Not once you thought to pass a smile to comfort me, let alone consoling me. You think, it's easy for me to be this strong? Let me tell you, this is NOT. I am fucking broken.” With this Virat had glassy eyes and his eyes were screaming the pain he was hiding for a while. Saying that Anushka was unaffected, would be a white lie. Seeing your love with tears in his eyes is the last thing one can wish for. She wanted to hug him, comfort him and take away all the tears away from him but sometimes the little distance feels like the longest to ever exist. Anushka felt like they were very distant from each other despite of the some centimetres gap between them.
“We have hurt each other way too much, right?” Anushka said with her voice breaking. Every word came out as a mere whisper but in that silent room, even those whispers were echoing.
“Way too much..” Virat repeated with a trembling voice.
“The distance feels long, right?” Virat's voice shook as he said these words.
“Very long” With tears in eyes, and softness in voice, Anushka answered. Both of them knew that overcoming everything and getting together like nothing happened is not going to be easy. Having a lots of questions, doubts and guilt, moving ahead will be extremely painful.
“I don't want to hurt you more...” Anushka whispered with tears rolling down her cheeks.
“Neither do I” Virat replied back. A moment silence before Anushka formed words again.
“But it doesn't seem possible to not hurt each other when we're around with wounds given by each other on our souls” As those words left her mouth, she felt weak in her knees. She knew where it all will go. Getting on her knees, tears flowing continuously form her eyes, she looked broken. Virat can never see this sight, never even in his dreams. He got on his knees too and cupped Anushka's face, wiping tears with his thumb and looking in her eyes that were red by now. His eyes were moist too.
“What do you want us to do? I can't see you like this...” He asked sincerely caressing her cheeks lightly.
“I don't want us to be hurt. I don't want to break you. I don't want to accuse you for a minor thing again and again, but I won't be able to get over it soon too. I can't- I ca-n'-t” She sobbed in between her words.
“Don't cry Nushkie” holding Virat's hands that were on the either sides of her face, Anushka looked in his eyes, the eyes that melts her everytime, those eyes were watery, because of her, because she was still not over her past, because she still hasn't learnt to remain unaffected by things that somehow refresh her childhood memories and in the process, she is hurting those eyes, the beholder of those eyes, the love of her life, Her Vee.
“Let's be apart from each other. We won't be breaking each other, I won't be hurting you...” These were not just words but some weapons that attacked Virat right at his heart leaving a permanent scar there. That silence was painful, it was heavy, it was hurting, breaking these two ‘made for each other person’ apart.
“Is this what you really want?” With voice that held nothing but softness and hurt, and eyes that were conveying millions of emotions altogether, Virat asked his Nushkie.
Neither it was easy for Anushka, nor for Virat. This was hurting both of them equally. Right and wrong in this situation went out of question way back, the only thing mattered was the gush of emotions they were feeling. Both were thinking for the other and unknowingly hurting themselves. “LOVE IS COMPLICATED” this was not a mere saying in their story now. Still waiting for an answer, Virat looked in Anushka's eyes who seemed to forget how to sting words but is it easy to break your most precious thing yourself?
“Yes” As those words reached their destination, a lot happened. A normal human wouldn't see a piece of cell moving in their bodies but someone who know how LOVE feels, will know. Hearts broke, Breathes freezed and everything changed. The only thing remained was their LOVE whose story still was incomplete.
Neither did Virat say a word more, nor did Anushka. He moved his head forward and joined both of their forehead. Tears were flowing but there were not 2 but 4 sources this time.
A second passed.
A minute passed.
And like this, they both remained unmoved with their forheads connected.
Gaining the composure, both stood up. They had nothing to say to each other now. Virat was the first to move out the room with Anushka trailing behind. Virat entered Kiara's room and Anushka was outside witnessing everything through the glass door. This was a known fact that KIA and Virat connected on a different level, their connection is genuine, the bond they share is priceless. And all this explains the scene in the room. Virat affectionately took Kiara's hand into his, kissing her knuckles, saying “You're strong, Get well soon, My KIA” . He stood up and carefully pecked her forehead, caressed her hair and made his way back to the corridor where stood Anushka.
“Good bye” With a smile that held pain, he said those words and moved towards the exit. Anushka's eyes followed his sight till he was out of vision. He was not just going but also taking a piece of her heart with him and also leaving a piece of his heart with her.

****************************************
Here goes a long long update..... Firstly, Today is special thus i had to update today so I didn't even once double read it, so there will be grammatical errors. I'm apologising for that beforehand.
Secondly, I have decided that from now on I'll publish the next chapter when I'll get 200 reads on the previous one. It's not some sort of strategy to gain reads but a source of motivation for me. I need a type of deadline to be continuous after the long break, hopefully this will help. So yaa, the next chapter will be published once this one gets 200 views....
Now, A big thank you to all. This book has completed 20K+ reads and I'm more than grateful. This is overwhelming. I promise to keep working to get better and better ❤️

Keep reading, Stay happy 😁