☆ 4.12 ~ the love you left behind

these cold hands this burning heart
will always be hollow without you
i lost you but all the love you left behind
will always remind me
remind me of you
~ michael schulte, the love you left behind

these cold hands this burning heartwill always be hollow without youi lost you but all the love you left behindwill always remind meremind me of you ~ michael schulte, the love you left behind

Everything since Kol took his first step away from Lydia was a blur. He could hardly remember anything. He didn't remember sitting in the house for a bit, just thinking about all that had happened before getting in his car and driving. He drove for hours and hours until he decided to make the trip back to New Orleans. There was nothing for him in Mystic Falls anymore. That was a lie. Lydia was there. But he couldn't have her.

He hoped that leaving would make things somewhat easier for him. Most of his memories with her were in Mystic Falls. That was where they had the majority of their dates. It's where they first met. Had their first kiss. Their first 'I love you' was said there. So was their first time. Kol didn't have to risk seeing things that would remind him of that. He didn't have to risk seeing Lydia every single day. Not that it mattered, she was on his mind no matter what. But at least now, he wasn't constantly met with memories of his past with her.

His old bedroom. The one he was standing in by himself. This one had no memories of Lydia. Yet she was still heavy on his mind. He hoped that leaving town would weaken the connection between the two of them and make it easier on both of them, but the further away he was from her, the closer he wanted to be. Unfortunately, Kol still did have memories in that bedroom. Rather gruesome ones of his old self before he met Lydia, while he was still known as the sadistic, homicidal vampire. That made him think about how far he had come since then, which then made him think about Lydia.

"Kol, may we speak for a moment?" Elijah's voice interrupted his train of thought.

Kol turned his head to look behind him at the door, noticing his older brother standing at the entrance. Kol wasn't an idiot. He knew exactly what Elijah wanted. For Kol to talk about his feelings. That was never Kol's strong suit. When he did talk about his feelings, it was Lydia.

"If I say no, would you listen?" Kol responded bitterly. He knew his brother all too well. Elijah wasn't asking for permission, he never did. He was telling Kol that he was going to talk to him and Kol would have to shut up and listen. Kol wasn't in the mood for that

"I take it that your situation with Lydia has not changed," Elijah noticed, guessing due to Kol's sharp response. He already knew that, but he wanted Kol to talk to him about it.

"Do you have any information regarding something of importance to me?" Kol demanded, shaking his head slightly."If not, you are already at the door. All you need to do is turn around."

"Peace, brother," Elijah warned. It wasn't hard to tell that Kol was on edge and it also wasn't surprising. He just left the woman he loved. Anyone would be upset about that, but Elijah knew he wasn't really angry. He was hurt, and if he didn't talk about it, he was going to mask his pain with anger. Elijah didn't want that for him."I am not here to fight with you."