☆ 1.1 ~ dayreamin'

TW: This chapter contains a short scene with physical/verbal abuse.

you walked in, caught my attention
i've never seen a man with so much to mention
~ ariana grande, daydreamin'

you walked in, caught my attentioni've never seen a man with so much to mention~ ariana grande, daydreamin'

It wasn't abnormal for Lydia Gilbert to be sitting in the middle of her bed on a Friday morning. It wasn't that she didn't have any friends, she just preferred being by herself some mornings. She could rest with a cup of hot chocolate on her nightstand which she would occasionally take a sip of when she took a small pause from working on a drawing in a sketchbook that was on her lap. Things were calm. She didn't get much of that, but luckily she had the day off from school and she had to spend it doing something she loved. She also wanted to spend as much time in her room as possible before she was off to college in a years time.

Lydia didn't care much for the room itself, she didn't get attached to houses. What mattered to her was the people in it, but lately, she didn't seem to matter to those and if she was being honest, the house was filled with nothing but heartbreak and loss. But she had to admit, she liked the privacy that came with it. Somehow, when she closed the wooden door shut, it seemed like she had entered another dimension and separated herself from the rest of the world. No one ever bothered her in her room. She was safe.

Her best friend, Rae, didn't come over much anymore. Her boyfriend, Jace, wasn't allowed in her room. In fact, she couldn't recall the last time her sister or brother had entered through the doors. Not that her brother could enter anymore considering he randomly decided he was going to college in Denver, miles away from Lydia. Her sister was almost never home, which Lydia would have expected if Elena was actually in school.

When Elena told Lydia that she was deferring from college until Lydia went that way Elena would have a proper guardian at home, Lydia was ecstatic. She assumed that she would be getting to spend more time with her sister, but she was wrong. Lately, her sister had been leaving home early and coming back late. She would randomly get called away in the middle of the night. It first started happening a few months after the death of their parents. Lydia assumed it was her way of grieving and it continued until the death of their aunt and uncle, Jenna and John. But it never stopped and Lydia never got an explanation. All she got was a lousy excuse.

Caroline is just freaking out over something and I need to calm down.

Bonnie is having a personal emergency,

When Lydia would ask her sister's friends, they would say the same thing. But they were quick to walk away, smiling at her almost sympathetically. Lydia knew all about sympathetic smiles. She had been getting them since she was born and it had only gotten worse after the tragic death of most of her family.