A knock returned Evelynn's train of thought. The knock reprimanded itself. Marcus flipped his blade and walked to the door, his strides were large and weary as if he was walking on glass. Evelynn placed her blade in her hilt strapped to her hip and raised her hand to her face tucking the strands of her hair behind her ear to meet whoever was accompanying the knock.

"Hey," Marcus exclaimed, his smile brightened as he reached his arm out to place it on the guard's back. The green embodied chest plate and gold plated amour clattered as the guard raised his gloved hands to take his helmet off. A known smile was displayed to Evelynn.

The unkept ashen blonde hair and wicked smile greeted Evelynn. Riley bowed, reaching his hand over his chest and bowing deeply to her. A cackle escaped Evelynn's mouth, "Please don't do that. If you should be bowing it's to Marcus. He just handed my ass to me,"

"Well if I must insist," Riley peppered and shifted to Marcus, welcoming glare and bowed. Marcus huffed in return and slapped Riley across the back. "I mean I can take two for two,"

Riley calmly returned a nod and whispered something inaudible to Evelynn into Marcus' ear. Evelynn's ears pricked in hope for the whisper to reach her, however, the silence was quickly met.

Riley's eyes flickered to Evelynn as he pulled away from Marcus' ear, lowering his hand which he held to cover his mouth.

"I have received a letter which was addressed to you, Evelynn," Riley spoke analyzing Evelynn's face. He reached into a pocket within the armour and pulled out an envelope. Evelynn wiped her hands onto her shirt and swallowed.

Riley placed the envelope in her palm. In silence they all glared at the letter, their eyes flickering across it like there was a detail hidden from their eyes.

Rubbing the envelope between her fingers Evelynn unclipped her sword belt and placed it sword down on the mat. She placed her finger under the envelope's lip and glanced at Marcus. His eyes drifted from her back to the hilt of his sword. Evelynn reverted her eyes to the lifted lip of the envelope.

Dear Evelynn,

Your people are dreading the thought of their heir not returning, as the eldest daughter, you are to fill the duty and become Queen. It brings me great grief to write to you about the events yet to occur. Athrolila has claimed war, and your father will lead the army until you return. You will fill the duty you have been sent here to do. I hope this finds you, my dear child. Your Kingdoms await your return.

Yours,

Mother

"Thank you, Riley," Evelynn mumbled nodding towards the boy. Riley met her dark eyes, the sea of blue becoming more endlessly deep in her soul. With every breath, the worry grew and the callousness of her heart.

Evelynn crumbled the letter in her hands and dropped the envelope onto the mat. She walked back to Marcus with her sword belt gripped in her hands. She pulled the cover off her sword, exposing the encrusted blue and silver.

"They're claiming war." Evelynn exhaled. He nodded and placed himself in a stance.

Marcus exposed his sword to hers. "You sure?"

"Again,"

~

The dark was sympathetic. Its compassionate glare and reprimanding are soothing. In the silence, it honed a new monster. One that is apart from the deepest and the shallowest parts of us. A monster however immoral plays a part in the lust, guilt and greed that is aggravated within all of us in the dark, we cannot see but certainly feel the pain, and the pride we lack. Vulnerability is a mere connotation in the dark. We express the pain in the dark, wanting its pity. Our tear stricken faces are a portrait of those who conform to the pain.