Last Impressions.

Christian

I sit in the booth of Nova and I's favorite restaurant here in Oak Hill. She called me about two hours ago to tell me her parents wanted to meet me, again. Tonight. She had told me that her parents were protective of her because of her ex boyfriend, so I figured it wouldn't be easy for me, her boyfriend now.

Fuck you, Devon.

I made sure to get here extra early, I didn't want them to think I arrive late to things, even though I do most times. But then again, their daughter is always late to things herself, so maybe they're the same way. I think I came a little too early though. We agreed on 8:00 and it's 7:55 but I've been here for fifteen minutes. The waiter had taken my order for a drink, water of course, and has left three extra menus.

My eyes shift towards the door whenever I hear it open until I finally see Novalee walk through the doors. I smile and she returns it, a little nervous. I'm nervous too, but I'm not going to let myself ruin this. I need to do this for us. I know how important her parents are to her, which means they're important to me. I hug her first and she finds her way into the booth. I greet her parents again, this time it's a little bit more intimidating.

She let me know how telling her parents about us went. It wasn't the best, but hopefully I can change their minds. I sit next to Novalee and they sit opposite of us. The waiter returns and takes their drink orders. Once the waiter leaves, Nova's dad breaks the silence. "Do you drink, Christian?" I hear the accent in his voice, my dad has one too. Only Nova's dad is way better than mine in every way.

He ordered a drink just now. Beer. His favorite. Nova may have texted me lists of things her parents like and dislike in the past hour. She wants them to like me just as much as I do. "Uh, sometimes. I usually don't during the season, it messes with my body too much," I say truthfully. Why lie anyway? "Season?" He asks curiously, setting down his menu.

"Football season, sir," I answer. He raises his eyebrows a bit and then nods. "Despite being Swedish, I actually love American football. Who's your favorite team?" He asks me. I smile. Okay good, we have something in common. "I grew up a Falcons fan of course, but moving to California, I've enjoyed the Rams lately," I admit. "The Rams are my favorite team," Nova's mom chimes into the conversation.

Her dad rolls his eyes. "My mom is from here," Nova tells me. I didn't know that. "Great taste, Mrs. Johänson," I say. She smiles and then her husband says, "I'm a New Orleans Saints fan." I nod my head, "They're a great team." I'm surprised they actually like football since Novalee knows nothing about the sport. I think I'll get her to start watching it more.

"So what are you planning on doing after college, Christian?" Novalee's mom asks. I don't hesitate. "Well I'm still deciding. I've had the opportunity to declare for the NFL Draft after this year, but I'm still deciding on whether or not I want to go or finish off my senior year," I say smoothly. Both of their eyes have widened and I look at Nova. She's smiling at them. "So then college football is not just some hobby for you? You have the opportunity to make a living off of it?" Her father asks.

I nod my head. "Yessir. Although if it doesn't work out, I have my Econ degree to help me out. I plan on staying in school even if I do decide to go pro next year," I smile. It's starting to sound like reality. Playing pro football and still getting my economics degree. It's going to be challenging, but not impossible. Her dad nods, impressed, I hope. The waiter returns with their drinks and we all finally order.

"Sounds like you've got a well planned vision of your future, Christian," I nod "where do you see my daughter in it?" Novalee chokes on her drink a bit at her dads question. "Dad!" She says. He looks at his daughter, "What?" I place a hand on her thigh and shake my head at her. "It's fine, Novalee." I smile reassuringly. I turn back to her dad, "Obviously I want her in my future, if she wants to be in it then she will be. Always." I smile at her. Nova returns it and I only wish I can kiss her right now.