Last C!

Novalee
September

"Remember class, it's still the beginning of the semester. We've been in class, what? A month? There is still time to drop this course if you cannot keep up with it. I had a lot of late submissions on the first speech that you and your partners had a reasonable amount of time to work out." Professor Adams says.

Is she encouraging us to drop this class? I'm thinking about it. Heavily.

"This class involves a lot of work like your first speech. With that being said, I'm introducing you to speech number two. This one will be speech that you will do alone!"

Fuck.

I groan lowly, in hopes that no one hears me. I barely got through the first one. Why, why, why, was this class required?

My phone buzzes in my back pocket and I pull it out carefully, placing it in front of my computer screen. It's Dalton. My agent.

My eyes widen and I open the text immediately.

Dalton: Just heard back from the casting director

Holy shit. My heart beats so fast in my chest I swear I can feel it against my skin.

Me: ??

I tap my foot against the floor and try biting on my fingernail until I remember that I recently got acrylics. I roll my eyes, but after, my eyes don't move from my phone screen.

Those three dots appear in the text bubble and they can't seem to disappear.

Until they do, and a text appears.

Dalton: They went with two other people. I'm sorry, Nova. Looking into more roles for you as we speak.

I close my eyes slowly and try not to cry. Two auditions. I auditioned for two characters and got neither of the roles. I knew this was going to happen.

I didn't know why I let Dalton convince me to audition for this show anyway. It was a good show that was bound to put up numbers. Of course I didn't get casted.

I swipe a tear that somehow escaped my closed eyes. The fact that he's looking for more roles for me doesn't even calm me down.

It takes weeks to find something that's even close to manageable from my schedule. Dalton is a good agent too, so he knows what types of roles I like and which ones I will do good in.

Plus with my distinct features, it becomes a little more difficult. I tend to stick out a bit with my red hair and overly freckled face.

Ugh, nothing sucks more than this feeling. I always get the idea that I'm obviously not a good enough actress if I didn't get picked. And with the way I'm pushing through school, I can't afford for my career to fail.

Speaking of school, my thoughts get interrupted by everyone standing up to leave. Great.

I have no idea what the professor said about our individual speeches. My eyes scan the length of the room until they land on Christian. He smiles at me before draping his bag over his shoulder.

I put away and pick up my things quickly, rushing down the stairs to catch up with the football player. Once I reach his side, I nudge his arm. "Hey." It's been about three weeks since our.. kiss.

We've both been busy with school and him with football obviously.

"Hey, you." He says. He waves to a guy I don't recognize as we walk out the building. Just as I'm about to say something, he interrupts me. "Wanna come over and study?" He looks down at me.