Last Blonde.

Friday
Novalee

"Babe, that's the second time I've seen you read that book," Maddy places her hands on her tiny hips "put it down already!" She groans. I close the book, but keep one finger in it as a bookmark of my place. I tilt my head and stick my chin out at my needy friend.

"I already told you that I don't want to go, Maddy." I shrug as I pick up my book again, sticking my nose so deep in it that she can't see my face. Maddy is begging me to come out to the football game today.

She says it's something called a scrimmage, meaning it's not necessarily a real game. So I told her, what's the point? She heavily insists we go. I think she just wants to see Cgc. She's been quiet about the subject, but I'm not stupid. I'm pretty sure she's slept with him again

According to her after the first time they slept together, he's her ideal man. Looks wise. She made sure to make that clear. Maddy doesn't do relationships. She has never told me why, but I think she's been hurt by someone before.

Most of the time, that's the reason behind why people 'don't date'.

"You want to see your QB 1?" There's a teasing note in voice. She throws one of her stuffed animals at me. "No!," she fixes her wavy black hair in the mirror "I told you already, I actually like football." I knew she did. I'd catch her watching NFL clips sometimes.

That reminds me of Christian. He might be going to the NFL after this school year. That's huge.

"If you don't start getting ready, I'll ditch you and invite Peyton." She growls playfully. I roll my eyes. "Peyton doesn't like football either." I didn't know Peyton well, she was one of Maddy's friends. We've all hung out a couple of times in group settings though.

Being friends with Maddy comes with going out. A lot. She loves partying, but lucky for her, she knows how to manage her social life and school. I on the other hand? Cannot. I can barely turn in all my work before their due dates.

Because of my ADHD, I occasionally get extensions from my professors, but it doesn't make it any easier for me to sit down and focus on my homework. Luckily, being a junior drama major, my classes are starting to wind down to ones where I don't need to write 12 page essays.

I also have a tutor I meet via Zoom about twice a week. That was mom's idea. I do it for her.

Having a tutor makes me feel like an idiot. I overthink the smallest things and having a tutor is one of them. Only stupid people who need help have tutors. I hated that I felt that way, but I did.

"Nova? Your phones ringing!" Maddy slaps me out of my thoughts. She's already started doing her makeup. I look down at my phone and press the green button.

"What's up?" I ask. The line is super quiet and then I hear a whisper. "Hey, you coming?" Christian says. I can't help but smile. His voice sounds kind of sexy in a whisper. "Why are you whispering?" I ask curiously.

Maddy has turned her attention to me and is mouthing who is it? "We get to the stadium extra early and rest for a bit, a lot of the guy's are sleeping." He answers my question. "Get some rest then, captain."

Maddy smiles when I say the word 'captain' and claps her hands silently. I guess she thinks I'm going with her just because I'm talking to Christian. Jokes on her, I am still not going. "Nahh, I took a nap before I came here. Answer my question."

"Which one?"
"Are you coming to the game?"
"Oh. No."

He lets out a breathy groan. "Why not?" For some reason, frustration tones his voice. I put away my book because there's no way I'm gonna finish reading it now. "I have homework, Valdez." The other side of the line is quiet for a while. "Finish it later." He finally says.

"Nope." I pop the 'p'. He sighs, "fine, you suck." And then he hangs up before I can say anything. Douche.

Maddy and I walk into the stadium about an hour after Valdez rudely decided to hang up on me. I wasn't going to come, but Maddy knows how to convince me. More like threaten. She's scary.

The seats are starting to fill regardless of the fact that it was just a scrimmage. Oak Hill was clearly a football school. I follow Maddy up about a million row of steps before we finally make it to our seats. I settle down in mine, taking a sip of my ice, cold water immediately.

It was only about two in the afternoon, so the sun was scorching down on all of us. "Cgc is so hot." I turn to look at her and smirk. I knew it. "He is." I agree. She gasps a bit and slaps my arm, "pay attention to you own man." She makes a 'hmph' noise and turns her gaze back to the sexy quarterback.

I laugh at her actions. "Babe, I know Cgc. I'd date you before him any day." I say. I can always appreciate a good looking man, it doesn't mean I want to hop in bed with them. I know Maddy's only kidding though. Cgc is completely off limits.

I would never sleep with anyone my friends have. He also happens to be Valdez's best friend which would just make the situation ten times worse.

Even though it doesn't count against us, we lose the scrimmage. 6-21 was the final score. Even with my little knowledge of the sport, I know it's bad to drop balls and Xander was dropping them like crazy when Cgc would pass to him.

You could see the frustration in himself—Xander— from all the way up here.

Maddy pulls my arm towards the locker room where a bunch of other girls crowd around. God, we look like groupies. She wanted to say hi to Cgc. Maddy and I stand back, giving some room between us and the groupies that basically have their chests pressed against the doors of the locker rooms.

Eventually, football players started coming out from the locker room. There was no sign of them being upset which was... good? The game didn't matter after all right? Cgc finally walks out, catching sight of my best friend immediately. He smiles and begins to walk in our direction.

I see Christian walk out a couple of seconds after him and right when I'm about to call out for him, he wraps his muscly arm around a small blonde. My slight smile fades. He's looking down at her shorter self and laughs at something she says.

I feel a jolt of something crawling up my spine. It's not jealousy, it just makes me feel weird about the fact that he's such a fuckboy. He leans down and places a small peck on her jaw causing a giddy smile to form across her red-painted lips.

I roll my eyes. Then I notice her slender arm make its way across his waist, pulling him in a bit closer. He lets her. I make a disgusted face. "Why is your friend such a whore?" I tell Cgc —who had been in a conversation with Maddy that I'd been drowning out for a while now— while still looking at Christian.

Both Cgc and Maddy follow my eyes to Christian and his flavor of the evening. I turn to Cgc who smirks at me. "I never took you for the jealous type, Nova." I chuckle and shake my head. "Jealous? Are you kidding me?" He holds his hands up in defense and shrugs.

Finally, when I turn back to Christian, his gaze shifts to me a couple of seconds later. The smile on his face drops slightly. I told him I wasn't going to come and here I was. I roll my eyes at him before shifting my attention to the two people flirting right next to me.

Someone kill me now. Seriously.